Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off,

Cheap lighting. I'm using CF power save bulbs that you can get from any stores. These were purchase at Wal-Mart, rated at 6500K. Wattage is 25w.

Total - 25x25- plus 20 from stock blub total 70

My tank is a 37 gal. So 70/37 is roughly 1.8. Which isn't bad for a DIY.

Here is the picture of the bulb:

Here is the blubs mounted on a cardboard encasing. The bad idea is the foil reflector. It doesn't work that great.

The other thing you'll need is CO2. Here is my CO2 setup.

The Co2 is in a small 1 gal tank that kept warm by a heater

It is being diffused using the impellers of the HOB filter.

If you have any questions or help let me know.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I love building with wood, so most every tank stand I have built myself. I'll try to get pics up of the 29g I have. The materials cost about 1/3 the price of a store-bought stand, and I have a blast making them. Although it sure as heck takes more time, it's certainly worth it in the end knowing that you saved money and that it's one of a kind. Also, DIY co2 is so easy, I love it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jasmine said:
OH MY GOD................
This looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks.

You know I had to shut my DIY CO2 kit because it was doing too well. I have monitored my tank for the last 3 weeks and the CO2 level is still at a good level.

·
Registered
364 Posts
mylar for reflectors in DIY lighting

Mylar is a polyester film, highly reflective , easy to work with and easy to get, you can buy it in hobby shops. Hydroponic growers use it for their lighting. If you google Discount Hydroponics you can see what it looks like, comes in a roll. That company also sells it though I don't know how good their prices are compared to local hobby shops. It doesn't wrinkle like foil and lasts forever.

Carol

·
Registered
515 Posts
the tank looks amazing now - it's like night and day from the original picture. i too am currently using the CF screw ins for my 55gal, but am saving up to get some flo tubes - i just like the color better.

my only suggestion for you is with the reflection material you chose - foil is not the best reflector in the world, it actually absorbs some of the light. a better idea would be to just use a shiny white surface inside - I used that foam board that high school students use for science fair boards, but have read that just painting the inside white is the best idea.

not trying to be negative, just a suggestion. everything looks great though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts