Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My percula clown has decided to host in my Xenia. it is now dying and my nitrates and nitrites have spiked though the roof. I did a 25% water change yesterday and today my kenya is looking bad. I halso have some candy cane, a vase monti, and some other sps I have forgotten the name to. ironically the sps and lps look fine but the softies are toast....... it looks like my clown has also been bitting the softies. what should I do? I am at the point that im ready to say good bye to this clown but if i did would another clown do the same thing?

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
I do not know how to respond about the clowns as each and everyone are different. I have heard of them hosting numerous different types of things in your tank. I have never however heard of them killing xenia by hosting it.

Another approach I was looking at was how long have you had the sps in the tank. The reason I am asking that normally if your water quality is good enough to have thriving sps corals then softies tend to not do so well. Xenia usually being the first that we see depart. Just an idea though.

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Also keep in mind that xenia although hardy can melt away sometimes for no apparent reason. But unless your colony is really large or aquarium is really small it would not be enough to really cause that much alarm in water params where your levels shoot through the roof, so that is where I am confused. Do you have a skimmer?
Like Derrick said though xenia and some other softies sometimes thrive in dirtier water than sps or lps. Have you checked your other levels?
As far as the clowns biting the softies. At times they will bite the tentacles as to court it when they host it. Mine use to "bite" the anem all the time but never did any damage.

Welcome to CFT by the way.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Could be several reasons. Clowns have been known to, for whatever reason, eat corals or anemones. Not often though. One local person here I chatted with at an LFS has a clown that will mow down any green star polyps she puts in there. Gotta be a nasty belly ache after that.

What, specifically, are you nitrate and nitrites? If you have nitrites in your water that are at any detectable level, then you have a bacterial cycle going on. This shouldn't happen in an established tank unless something bad just happened (a big dead fish/coral, or something killed off much of your bacterial colonies that reduce nitrite to nitrate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no i dont have a skimmer and i have a 25 gallon tall tank. I also appologize if i came of bad for saying im going to get rid of my clown. all my other levels are perfect just the nitrates and nitrites. also the sps are new but im super picky about my water quality so im at a loss. well of to bed the wify is complaining

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Ok in a 25 gallon a good size coral dying could cause a spike. But it may be other factors. How long have you had the tank set up. What is your filtration system? Sorry for the questions just trying to help out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its just a hang on back.... I plan to get a sump and skimmer soon though and the tank is about 2 years old though I did a big water change last month..... About 50-60 percent I had a friend try to be funny... Long story
Oh and the xenia is large its about an 8inch piece

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
uh oh. When someone says "I had a friend try to be funny....long story"..... things don't usually work out to good for the coral.

Reeffreak has a point, if there are deteriorating corals, the nitrates/nitrites can spike.

Still doesn't get to the root issue... what's killing the softies.

Have you changed your lighting any time recently, or changed the bulbs?

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
That is why I was curous about filtration. Bare with me on some questions
What cha got in the HOB filter?
How much live rock you got?
Flow, power heads?
Salinity?
Still though your sps are doing well..........so those factors would also affect them but still I am curious.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha right I know and I'm actually getting new bulbs tomorrow they are about a year old. And I'm pretty sure its the clown biting my big xenia colony, they have bite marks all over :( and thanks so much for the help

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have carbon and bioballs in my filter. I have about 30 lbs of live rock and my salinity is at .024 and I have a powerhead and a wavemaker

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
How long has it been since you replaced the carbon?

Also, how clean are the bioballs? They really aren't necessary in a reef (the live rock surface area does the exact same thing just as effectively), and they can become caked with organic films that contribute to nitrate issues (not always).

If the bioballs are dirty, remove about half of them (don't replace them). Remove the other half a week later. This is assuming you don't have LOT of bioballs and that your tank isn't really that dependant on them anyhow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i have good and bad news.... the nitrite spike is going down but now my sps hate me :( I think i restarted my cycle by adding another large peice of live rock a few weeks ago:( ive been doing 10-15% water changes every other day and i also picked up a box of the prodibio nano reef kit from down under and that seems to have helped a lot. my xenia also look worse the clown just wont leave them alone. not really sure what to do. ide love to take one of them out but i dont really want to kill either one as they are both living animals..........

thanks
alex

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
There is not much you can do to prevent the clown from trying to host the xenia. Does the clown try to rub in it or feed it? Or is it more of an attack?

Also I notice the cleaner my tank gets the worse my xenia does.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow really so it probably is not a good idea to have my sps in my tank with it then.... and he tries to feed it and i think is giving it "love" bites. Im going to get some frogspawn after my levels get back to normal in hope that my clown will host with him. and i was amazed how changing salt and adding the biokit helped

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Probably the funk wash from the new rock had more to do with it than anything. WC and biokit helped there.

If the SPS does well I wouldn't be too worried but the bioballs are rubbish. You get more out of liverock rubble.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Neato. Do you have a log of your water quality before and after to do some comparison?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts