Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Orbit Marine Led about an inch over glass and glass about two inches over water. There are always tons of small droplets on glass from evap/condensation. I am wondering how these drops of water mess with the lighting. I figure it must cause some kind of refraction/ reflection but not sure what it may do. I am thinking to cut glass so it is open right under the light. They have 120degreee LEDs on them.

Any lighting gurus know if droplets on glass effect lighting? What about when glass gets cloudy / dirty over time?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
by rules of physics the droplets (think concave lenses) will refract the light outwards therefore scattering your light more, and in theory lessening the direct downward light; however, the experts do not seem to see any real difference in light intensity. IMHO I believe this to be due to the massive amount of internal reflection from the sides of your tank. I run all my reefs uncovered as the decrease in evap is outweighed IMHO by the increase rate of gas exchange; however, it does add extra wear and tear to your lights by salt corrosion.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Years ago Sanjay Joshi and a few professional hobbyists were talking about light and its effects on corals and other photosynthetic organisms..What it basically boiled down to was natural sunlight hits the equator at a around a 20-22 degree angle the reef never gets hit with direct sunlight,it is mainly reflected and refracted light,If you ever look in shallow water you see glimmer lines,the light in those glimmer lines are up to 10 times more powerful than direct sunlight,If you would like to do an easy experament take a stroll along the water in about ankle deep water during summertime,for about an hour at noon,What you will find is the tops of your feet are burnt,yet the rest of your legs are fine,why is that,well the water acted as a magnefying glass,and your feet where the bug Now because of the depth the light has to penetrate and compounds that are in or make up saltwater different waves are filtered out....Anything you put between the light source and the organism you are keeping,can and will change the spectrum and the intensity of light,As Garbonzo pointed out get a par meter and test the effects on what you want or trying to do,Water can and will destroy in the long run metal fixtures,You have a very powerfull light source so I don`t see why you could not have it higher above your system,with an open screen top that fits flush with the frame around your tank,lets all the light in and keeps all of your fish in,helps with evaporation to keep your tank cool..Just my two cents

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
how big is your tank? 5 gals a day is a lot; however, something to think about is how much you run your AC and heat. The more they run, the more they will actively scrub the air of moisture, the more that dry air will "pull" water molecules off the surface of your tanks. Also is there a ceiling fan in the room?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No ceiling fan. Forced hot air. 80 gallon shallow + 40g breeder sump. With acrylic on main tank I only lost about a gallon a day. New tank so house only has had heat on..will see what happens during summer.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts