Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most everyone that deals with DIY decor made with Styrofoam or similar material uses silicone to attach it to the aquarium.

For the past month I have been brainstorming ideas to avoid this.

One alternative method that has been discussed in our forum is using waterproofed magnets.

A friend of mine were talking and we thought another method might be to make your foam decor and encase a weight or rock inside the foam to hold it under water. For example: say you want to make a foam mountain. have a rock completely surrounded by foam in the center of the mountain to hold it down. See diagram below R stands for "rock", ^ represent foam mountain

^
^^^^
^^R^^
^^^^^^​

Does anyone have any thoughts on that idea? Or have other ideas on how to make removable backgrounds and decor?

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Man, I made one for my 125 When it was a cichlid tank, That rock would have to be VERY VERY VERY HEAVY.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Could'nt tell you man, I didnt silicone mine in, I just made it a very tight fit then put rocks on the bottom to hold it on. DIDNT LAST LONG .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hm.

What if instead of a rock you filled the inside with quickcrete or something similar. That would allow you to get the maximum weight potential without trapping any air inside the cavity. Would also save you from having to carve a special niche for a specific rock.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's a thought....

I was thinking today that I cone make the mountain like a inverted cone.

The base would be a solid sheet of foam, the layers going up would be rings of foam attached to each other and the base using silicone.

I would then fill the inside of the cone with gravel or as you suggested quickrete. Then top it off with another solid piece of foam.

Then I just carve the outside of the foam to look like a rock/mountain and finish from there.

·
Registered
177 Posts
that's a thought....

I was thinking today that I cone make the mountain like a inverted cone.

The base would be a solid sheet of foam, the layers going up would be rings of foam attached to each other and the base using silicone.

I would then fill the inside of the cone with gravel or as you suggested quickrete. Then top it off with another solid piece of foam.

Then I just carve the outside of the foam to look like a rock/mountain and finish from there.
Sounds like a great idea to me. If you were going to build a wall you could glue it to a bottom peice of foam and cut out spaces to put slate onto it. That way its not noticable once you put substrate in the tank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So...I know this is an older thread, but it showed up in my search nonetheless 😉 I am currently in the midst of my own styrofoam/sand fall background project (first one) and am currently toying with the concept of using large, heavy-duty velcro strips along the bottom of my tank (pointy side along bottom, fuzzy on the foam). In theory, it seems a conventional way to secure and interchange just about anything to the tank itself without committing to a build indefinitely. Plus the velcro will be hidden under the ornaments and substrate, luckily enough the velcro strips boast about being waterproof.
I'm just hoping it will do its job holding my project down, I also adhered two bricks along the lower half of the foam for added weight. We'll see how it goes! Wish me luck! 🤞
Wood Gas Countertop Hardwood Cabinetry

Gas Transparent material Machine Transparency Room

Window Gas Wood Glass Display case

Window Gas Wood Glass Display case
Gas Transparent material Machine Transparency Room
Wood Gas Countertop Hardwood Cabinetry

·
Registered
7 Posts
So...I know this is an older thread, but it showed up in my search nonetheless 😉 I am currently in the midst of my own styrofoam/sand fall background project (first one) and am currently toying with the concept of using large, heavy-duty velcro strips along the bottom of my tank (pointy side along bottom, fuzzy on the foam). In theory, it seems a conventional way to secure and interchange just about anything to the tank itself without committing to a build indefinitely. Plus the velcro will be hidden under the ornaments and substrate, luckily enough the velcro strips boast about being waterproof.
I'm just hoping it will do its job holding my project down, I also adhered two bricks along the lower half of the foam for added weight. We'll see how it goes! Wish me luck! 🤞 View attachment 3266
View attachment 3265
View attachment 3264
View attachment 3264 View attachment 3265 View attachment 3266
Is there an update on this? I too would like to see it when it's completed! (y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts