I sell a coral.
My coral is for sale.
I am having a coral sale.
I had to sell my coral.

There will be a test next week.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If you do not like it. Don't read it. And def don't try to be little someone to make yourself fell better. You just may run off a person from this forum that can help use. Im not a great speller and my edumacation is only 12 grade. Does that make you better than me?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have only a high school education. I'll be the first one to say that your education level has no bearing on how smart a person is. I am not better than anyone, and spelling isn't that important in the world-at-large. In fact, most of the high level managers where I work can't spell a thing by themselves. Who does it for them? Me.
That being said, when the world in question is a forum where communication is by written word, we should take the time to make sure that our posts are readable (especially by those who have more difficulty with reading and spelling) before hitting the "reply" button.
Furthermore, I did not call anyone out in particular. It is something I see here every day. The example I made is a common mistake, especially in this part of the country, where the two words sound very similar when spoken.
If someone can't make any sense of a post, how much help is it going to be?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Higher education only means that you can put up with more BS from someone who thinks they really are smarter than everyone. I loved the look on my chemistry professors face in college when I corrected him on a titration issue that I learned from this hobby.

That said, all it takes is to slow down and re-read all of your posts.

Mrs. Penny!!! Mrs. Penny!! Im ready for the test!!!

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
This is a fantastic hobby for learning all kinds of inter-related stuff and I know it has helped me in school and in life with spelling, chemistry, math, physics, geography, biology, electronics, and especially problem-solving !!!

A really good teacher won't mind a bit when a student corrects him/her. Actually he/she should be flattered - it means the student is really paying attention and cares about learning! I had one who used to do things wrong on purpose to see if we could catch him (or at least he faked it pretty well if the errors were real).

I feel like i can be a little sloppier on CFT then i kin on some other forums like apistogramma.com and nanfa.org wear we have a lotta internashnal users who's english is limmitid end thay you's translater programs.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Plus, we all make mistakes. But Magicpenny is right. A lot of mistakes and misuse of words could be prevented if we slow down and proofread. I am as guilty as anyone and I have an English degree.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
OP, I respect your opinion. However, we all often have continual annoyances.

*To the highest educated members we have= I enjoy your posts.

*To the members with difficulties, spelling, reading, and grammar=I enjoy your posts.

Perhaps just my view... I believe all people do the best they can do when expressing themselves, and appreciate what is considered an educated or not individual ;)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Did someone say "be little?" I tried that once, but it didn't work. I'm over six feet.

Seriously, the king's English is egregiously (whoa) abused these days. I think it's a generational thing. There's no more diagramming of sentences in schools, kids go to the computer for a thesis statement (yes there's an app for that), and no one except us old codgers worries about spelling and capitalization while "texting" (which is not a word, btw). Like everything else, language changes and not always for the better. But whether you think it's evolving or devolving probably depends on your age.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I always turn to Internet forums for well-written and thought-provoking comments. I, for one, appreciate the grammar lesson. The last thing I want is to purchase used aquarium supplies from someone that confuses "sale" and "sell". Don't get me started on subject-verb agreement or ending a sentence with a preposition.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Education does not imply intelligence.
I disagree with you.

At least one definition of intelligence is : gathering information about something i.e. "gathering intelligence about a neighboring country's activities" (merriam-webster dictionary)
Education purely means gathering information.

Being highly educated may not imply intelligence, but a lack of education surely doesn't.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts