Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
I disagree with you.

At least one definition of intelligence is : gathering information about something i.e. "gathering intelligence about a neighboring country's activities" (merriam-webster dictionary)
Education purely means gathering information.

Being highly educated may not imply intelligence, but a lack of education surely doesn't.
Education without retention or focus is worthless. A diploma, degree etc. all imply education.

So just because you have the aforementioned accomplishments your are intelligent? I think not.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Just an FYI, "Texting" is in the Oxford dictionary. So it is now a word.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
My bad. Should have checked the OED. Was tkg with my BFF on my IP about what up so I was like u no, bz?

Once the OED went online it was never the same. I miss the old days with all the bound volumes in the stacks. "Selfie?" Really?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have only a high school education. I'll be the first one to say that your education level has no bearing on how smart a person is. I am not better than anyone, and spelling isn't that important in the world-at-large. In fact, most of the high level managers where I work can't spell a thing by themselves. Who does it for them? Me.
This comment has aged very well. I've come to that age where my experience also gave me that conclusion, the education level of a persons doesn't determine how smart it is. Since you are a kid they tell you that if you want to be smart then you gotta go to college so you can be more intelligent when in reality it is not that straightforward. I know many of my colleagues with their diplomas/degrees having way worst quality of life than ppl with only high school diplomas. I know for example this dude that works at fast food restaurant, he's 22 and has already a 30k+ portfolio in etf REITS.... he only has his GED and isn't good at math but found some tutorials in youtube based on warren buffets teachings.

I think the pandemic further revolutionized this with all of these online resources available to anyone about virtually anything. Back in the day we didn't have many resources available or at least not as easy accessible as they are now. These days you would download an app and start learning in seconds. There aren't good math tutors near you? No problem! Just look up for tutoring online for free. Like this trigonometry tutor app my nieces uses sometimes to do her homework. Don't know how to upgrade the fans on your PC? No problem! just look on youtube for a tutorial about it and just follow the steps.

And yep, that happens to me at my job, I am constantly spell checking things, many times when I shouldn't have, because these guys apparently don't know the difference phonetically of "were" to "where" or "our" to "are". :sneaky:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts