Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My submersible heater just blew open with a pop, sizzle, and a lovely burning smell. I got it out of the aquarium ASAP, and worried about heavy metal contamination, put in some dechlorinator with heavy metal chelator and changed out the carbon in the filtration system. Fish seem to be ok, but all the inverts (corals, anemones, starfish, flame scallop, etc.) look very unhappy. I'm getting ready to do the first water change. Any suggestions? Was it the current, the contamination from the heater components, or was adding dechlorinator a really bad idea? This is my 40 gal tank. I've got a 5 gal cycled -- should I move the corals there until I can do a few water changes? Help!

·
Registered
382 Posts
When this happened did an electrical breaker pop? My wife dropped and extension cord into my sump a few months ago. Some corals died before i could get the water mixed up for a 50% water change.

SPS turned white in less than 30 min
Snails drop from side and rock
Open brain, inside out.

Fish were ok. Best bet do a 50% water change and monitor and hope for the best.

Sorry to hear about this

Wes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx. Some critters starting to look better. Gorgonian that hadn't been out for a week decided to come out now. Pest starfish are a lot easier to find and pull out since they are curled up. Might be a good thing :)

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
My submersible heater just blew open with a pop, sizzle, and a lovely burning smell.
Now this is strange. My computer monitor has been acting strange (flickering) and when I read your statement "blew open with a pop", my computer monitor had a strong flicker and went "PCHT!" and scared the crap out of me! Kinda like it was illustrating for me the heater popping...

I doubt heavy metal contamination is an issue, but of course some water changes help. I personally would do 15-20% water changes, three days in a row, instead of 50% all at once, esp if you used something to detox the heavy metals (a poly filter pad is great for this also, it removes them).

My guess is that the coral and starfish reacted to the stray electrical current in the water, a heater can dish out some stout amperage.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Yeah, therm-go-boom is no fun. If you got it cleaned up in a hurry you should be fine. I agree with more and smaller water changes. Less stress to the system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your help. I did about a 30% change last night and will do ~12% tonight and a couple more nights. Two known casualties -- diamond goby and a sea cucumber. Everybody else except the torch and the frogspawn seems to be feeling much better today.

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Thanks for all your help. I did about a 30% change last night and will do ~12% tonight and a couple more nights. Two known casualties -- diamond goby and a sea cucumber. Everybody else except the torch and the frogspawn seems to be feeling much better today.
I'm glad you discovered it quickly. I had a stealth heater do that and most fish lived. All my coral and inverts died. Took me a month to get the water back right because it had been in a week like that in a 120g. Several great CFT members came to my rescue and helped me. I will never forget those kind folks.

I'm sorry this happened to you and you are doing the correct thing as all have suggested and on your part as well.

I don't know where you live, but I offer you coral for free to come pick up...help you get going once all is normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts