Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've reluctantly decided that it's time for my two favorite freshwater fish to go to a new home. They've simply gotten too big for my 180 gallon tank. My original intention was to upgrade to a 300 gallon, but the current state of our economy has unfortunately ruled that option out for me. I'd prefer to sell them as a pair but would be willing to split them up if absolutely necessary. A pre-requisite for any potential buyer is that you must have a large enough tank for these fish. As I stated above, they are currently in a 180 gallon, which they have out-grown. I would think that a 300 gallon would probably be minimum, but it really depends on the dimensions of the tank. Another pre-requisite is that you must be a dedicated aquarist and have fish-keeping experience. I’ve taken very good care of these fish and I don’t intend to give them to somebody who won’t continue to do so. The third and final pre-requisite is that you must provide a means of transporting the fish from my place to yours. I’m currently driving a little two-seater roadster, and it simply wouldn’t fit these monsters :D . FYI I live in Morrisville, about four minutes away from RDU airport.

The black arowana (osteoglossum ferreirai) is approximately 26" in length and has beautiful coloring. DOES NOT have drop-eye! I don’t know what sex she is, but I’ve always referred to her as female. I've had her since September of 2009 when she was just a fry. She eats shrimp and floating Hikari Carnivorous Fish pellets (pellets every day and shrimp at least once every other day). Asking price is $250, but may be less depending on some factors that we can discuss via private message.

The motoro stingray is approximately 28” in length from the front of the disc to the end of the tail. She is female, and would make for a great breeder ray if you happen to have a male motoro to pair her with. I don’t have a good way of measuring her disc diameter, but I’d guess around 19” or so. She is very healthy and has beautiful orange spotting. I’ve had her since July of 2009 when she was still just a pup, purchased straight from a ray breeder in Michigan. I’m not sure of her exact date of birth, but it was sometime in the early summer of 2009. My asking price for her is $200, but again may be less depending on some things we can discuss via pm.

If you would like to purchase both of the fish together there will be a price discount. If you represent or know of a public aquarium or museum with a freshwater Amazonian exhibit that is relatively near me, please send me a private message or reply below as I may be willing to donate these fish (if I can have visitation rights ;)).

I may also be interested in incorporating trades into the transaction if you have any rare oddball freshwater or saltwater fish you'd like to swap.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
gorgeous fish... i have a buddy getting a 300 gallon after he graduates either this fall or spring and is lookin for a black aro but they'll probably be gone by then... good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I copied your post and link on the Charlotte CAAS forum and RAS yahoo group. Those are gorgeous well-loved fish; good luck finding a suitable home.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Contact Pine Knoll Shores Aquarium Willing to bet they would be interested !! :) Good luck They are beautiful

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Contact Pine Knoll Shores Aquarium Willing to bet they would be interested !! :) Good luck They are beautiful
Actually I did that about a month ago, but they don't have an Amazon exhibit so they have no place for them. Although I did send some pics for them to spread around, but I haven't heard anything from them since. I'm hoping I'll have better luck here :D

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
How about MonsterFishKeepers ("MFKers") ? There's some bozos on there for sure, but also some responsible and knowledgeable folks. Or maybe even a restaurant with a huge tank or indoor pond?

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Oh if I only had an indoor pond, I'd SO put that big arowana in it!

·
Registered
53 Posts
A co-worker of mine has a 300gal which is mostly empty at the moment. I'm not sure of the dimensions, and I would guess you're probably looking for someone with a 36" wide tank. However, I'll mention this to him sometime next week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A co-worker of mine has a 300gal which is mostly empty at the moment. I'm not sure of the dimensions, and I would guess your probably looking for someone with a 36" wide tank. However, I'll mention this to him sometime next week.
That'd be great, thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How about MonsterFishKeepers ("MFKers") ? There's some bozos on there for sure, but also some responsible and knowledgeable folks. Or maybe even a restaurant with a huge tank or indoor pond?
I've got a thread on MFK, but that restaurant suggestion could be gold. If anybody has suggestions, please post them. :Thumbs up:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bump, still available. Any suggestions for public aquariums in NC would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
19 Posts
idk how far away you are from myrtle beach SC but Im almost positive they have an amazon exibit at ripleys aquarium. I love motros and i wish i had the tanks space but i dont right now. ill ask around though i have a few friends with massive tanks and i also have a friend that is a marine biologist who specializes in stingrays im sure they would love it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts