Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going on vacation next week and will be gone for a week and I am only worried about one thing - feeding. I would prefer to avoid paying a service or having to have someone come by to take care of the fish so let me know what you think of these options.

1. Overfeed every day up until the vacation and basically gut load the fish. Feed them at 4am before I leave and the day I get back - they would be basically 5 days with no food.

2. I have an empty head on the dosing pump so I was thinking about filling an airline with food and dosing 1 ml of food to the DT through the dosing pump every day. I have a ton of flow so it would be a pain and I would have to set up a timer to cut power to the MP10 while I fed.

Any other ideas or options? Not worried about ATO since I am going to set up a 5g bucket full of RODI and not worried about params since I have the dosing pump.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
What are you feeding? I leave both of my mp10s on full speed when I feed my tank. I used an auto fish feeder last time I went out of town with pellets. I never feed pellets but felt at least they had the opportunity to eat if they were hungry enough.....went fine but I misjudged the opening on the feeder and had a ton of food in the tank and brown glass when I got home:)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feed liquid food. It is a mixture of Cyclopeeze (2 packages), Mysis (1 cube), Various sized Brightwell Zooplankton (10ml), and a little bit of filter feeder food (3ml).

I usually feed about 1 - 1.5ml per day. If I was going to do an "autofeeder" I would mix up a batch and suck it up using the doser in manual mode to "prime" it with food. When I went on vacation I would set it do dispense 1ml/day.

I have to turn off my MP10 when I feed because if I don't, it basically just sends it right into the sump (I use short pulse for a wave and have a 1.5" wave across the top of my tank). I let the fish/shrimp spread out the leftovers because they are really messy eaters and my corals, hermits, snails, etc. end up with their fair share.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I could stop by one day to feed if you don't mind a stranger in your house. :)

I'm off next Wednesday.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only have 2 Percula Clowns. I don't mind having someone come and feed the fish, but my girlfriend does! That is why I want to come up with a solution that involves keeping my door locked the whole time :p

The food is fine unrefrigerated if I leave out the mysis and use the gelled cyclops (ton of phosphates, but it doesn't matter...the tank processes phosphates ridiculously fast).

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I would just feed pellets in an auto fish feeder and no point in turning off the powerheads. They also make a small ring that holds the pellets until they are moist enough to sink.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts