Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this site via a google search looking for the size of a 30" x 12" x 22" tank. I found it to be 37 gallons (thanks).

I started it up yesterday - it's been sitting in the box for quite a while.

We have a 10 gallon in my son's room so I know about cycling.

Just trying to figure out the "pros and cons" of salt water. Just from my very limited knowledge on the subject, the pros seem to be more brightly colored fish, and we sort of decorated the tank in an "ocean" style theme.

The cons seem to be more complex? (not really sure). More expensive fish?

I plan on searching the forums for knowledge but if anyone has any information, my ears are open.

Thanks!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Welcome Don! There are cons to saltwater? ;-)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
welcome to the forum its hard to try and explain salt over fresh on one post personally ive run both and prefer salt but there r many factors in chosing one over the other best thing read up on both and maybe make a trip to a good lfs in your area and let them talk to you about both sides either way i think you will get alot of enjoyment out of keeping aquariums but it can be very addicting a really fun hobby imo!!!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
CONS
1 Higher energy bill
Time consuming
more maintenance
higher mortality rate until you gain experience
Expensive hobby, you're better off flushing $20 bills down John every week
Marital problems/ divorce
The feeling that if you buy the next pice of equipment your thank will do better
floor damage from leacks
conflicting information on forums
Erectile disfunction
The constant need to upgrade this and that.
the never ending influx of new better equipment that make what you just bought obsolete
To much times pent on fish forums
Potential for electrocuting form electricity in close proximity to water.
You become a recluse

Pros chics love it. as long as you have the passion every thing alse will be overlooked

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I've decided to "keep it simple" and go freshwater, but with a saltwater look. The main reason I guess is fish cost. Here in Cincy I guess they may be higher in price than on the coast. I see clowns for $20 and up, I think a lion fish is $95 (my tank is too small).

I've been cycling for a week and the three starter fish (Black Skirt Tetras) haven't died yet, so that's good.

I'll likely get a clown loach, some angels, and some other stuff.

·
Registered
785 Posts
CONS
1 Higher energy bill
Time consuming
more maintenance
higher mortality rate until you gain experience
Expensive hobby, you're better off flushing $20 bills down John every week
Marital problems/ divorce
The feeling that if you buy the next pice of equipment your thank will do better
floor damage from leacks
conflicting information on forums
Erectile disfunction
The constant need to upgrade this and that.
the never ending influx of new better equipment that make what you just bought obsolete
To much times pent on fish forums
Potential for electrocuting form electricity in close proximity to water.
You become a recluse

Pros chics love it. as long as you have the passion every thing alse will be overlooked
HAHAHAHAHA!!! You crack me up Vic! LMFAO!!!!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Welcome to the club DonP. There is a lot of freshwater info on here also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know who to thank, but I think this place sent me to digilights? The vendor who makes the blue LED night lights. Very cool and very easy. Fit perfect right under my light hood. I went with the dimmer option also.

I don't know if he's a forum sponsor, but I give him a thumbs up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts