Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I'm definitely not a regular poster and sometimes I say a lot in a little time and then not a little for a lot of while but I need help. I have been battling snot for a while now in my 90 gal reef. I thought I got rid of it twice now and it has returned with a passion now. I have vacuumed blown and everything I can think. I may be missing something but my water seems to be right. I'm going to check again tonight and I will post results just so all can see. If there is anything I can try safely please let me know. The only thing that seemed to work the last two times was 3 days in the dark and then slowly increase lighting over the next week. I'm hoping to not have to do that again. Thanks in advanced for ANY suggestions!

·
Registered
176 Posts
What I would recommend is use Kalkwasser for your top off water,and check out what your ph is with a digital meter take three tests one when the lights come on ,the next one in the middle of your photo period ,the last one before the lights go out......If it is snot,looks like jelly not dinoflagelets....That should solve a majority of your problem......Make sure your skimmer is running optimumly....Keep your mechanical filter clean

·
Registered
797 Posts
i had this problem a few months back. Discovered that my membrane and filters and di resin were really needing to be changed on my rodi unit. Was an instant cure.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I spoke wrong Dino would be a better description. I think that's what it is. I'll get a good picture tomorrow sometime. Let's go with fixing Dino

·
Registered
347 Posts
I got rid of my Dino by turkey basting and water changes. Decent success after about 3 20% changes but it was still present. Eventually I just gave it time to see if it would settle out and about 2 months after it was gone. I think I got lucky from the research I read people ended up breaking down tanks because of it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah very lucky in comparison to my situation right now. I have had it gone twice like i said each time for about a month and this time it is terribly worse. its like i cant get ahead of it and its taking its toll of some corals. Ill get some pics up tonight when i get home so you guys can see what im fighting and hopefully give me some advice as to what i can try. Im to the ANYTHING point and am willing to try it all!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
90 gal reef tank. Sump/fuge with filter sock 24/7 protein skimmer. diy denitrification filter, diy phosban reactor. feed frozen reef frenzy every other day, 20% water change every 10-12 days. clean glass every other day. stock... black clown, pajama cardinal, yellow tang, naso tang, 3 blue/green chromis, yellow watchman paired with pistol shrimp, normal cuc hermits, snails...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
heres what im fighting.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/lexvidia/90gall%20since%208-11-13/IMG_4140_zpsae3a9ce0.jpg[IMG]

and just a little good with the bad.

[IMG]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/lexvidia/90gall%20since%208-11-13/IMG_4141_zpsb33086da.jpg

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
You have dinos, good luck. My advice… UV, the smallest micron filter sock you can find, hydrogen peroxide dosing, and prayers.

I lost over 40 acro colonies to that Sh*t 2 years ago, the only way I beat it was peroxide. Then I tore the system down bleached everything and set it back up. It can lay dormant in your sand for like 5 years or some stupid number like that. NASTY STUFF!

*Dinos are not the same as diatoms, changing the rodi membranes will not be enough. They are one of the fastest reproducing things in the ocean.

·
Registered
350 Posts
+1 on using hydrogen peroxide. Only real solution to fighting dinos. Alex will get you hooked up on the best way to fight this. I would recommend a full fledge 3 day blackout coupled with hydrogen peroxide dosing. Good luck!

Search hydrogen peroxide here and on several of the national boards. I know that I and others have posted the method to use and the concerns / possible issues. It's scary as crap doing it as you are putting hydrogen peroxide in your tank but it does work.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I totally agree w Alex. I typically dose at 1ml/10g. This is just a starting point though. One thing you have to realize is in a saltwater environment H2O2 "burns" down to h20 and O2 unless otherwise reacted with so it's hard to overdose unless you grossly dump and pray. I've dosed up to 5ml/10gal on zoas with no ill affects. Peroxides are actually a way to add emergency O2 to your tank in a power outage as stated in the previous reaction.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts