Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

Home BugBombing/Pest control... And Reef tank

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  PuffyLuv 
#1 ·
Ok so I have a flea problem that I need to get rid of. And as of now it's escalated to finding them just about everywhere in the house. We aren't messy people, but I do believe my Dog may have carried them in the house. (Yes she gets treated)
Anyway, my pest control person suggested doing a couple of bug bombs and some spraying around the inside of the house. And this concerns me Bc of my reef tank that I have. It's an open top/rimless tank.
Have anyone on here dealt with something similar, and if so. How did you keep your tank inhabitants safe.
Thanks

#2 ·
I would think a bomb would be an issue since it disperses through out the air. I would be concerned about not being able to seal your tank and sump and having some get in the water.

We have had our house treated for ants before but it was just spraying around the baseboards. Even then I covered the tanks as best I could and followed up with several big water changes and running more carbon than normal. And changing it out in a shorter time frame.

Just my feedback though.

Reactions: A13X and oceandude
#5 ·
I have bombed with a tank running before. Just cover the tank and seal off thesump, also cut off the origin skimmer, or any other equipment u have running that intakes air and u will be fine. I just used trash bags :)

#6 ·
Thanks everyone. I actually had it done this morning. I ended up covering up my tank with a trash bag. And my skimmer has outside air pumped in, so I figured fresh air would be fine. And it did I hope. Everything seemed fine when we got back this evening. (We had to leave the house for 5hrs)
I have quarterly pest routines done and everything does fine without covering up anything. But this time I was getting a more potent stuff, so I was a little more concerned.
Anyway, hopefully everything stays fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.