Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon Reef tank and my RO/DI system is at my basement sink. My RO/DI system consists BRS 3 cartridge setup, heater, pump, flexible silicone tubing and two plastic 20 gallon tubs. One for the RO/DI water and the other to mix my salt water. I distill into first tub and then pump over into the second tub and add my salt. After it mixes with heater and pump for a day or two, I then pump the salt water into two 5 gallon jugs and carry about 30 feet to my aquarium. I've tried using a little tiny pump with hose and dropping pump through the fill hole in the 5 gal jug and then turn on pump and return new mixed water to the sump down stream from the skimmer close to the return pump. Once I pump out all I can with the tiny pump, I just pick up the 5 gallon jug and slowly pour the rest directly into the tank.

Is there an easier way? I cannot move the tank or the RO/DI system closer to each other. Should I get a bigger barrel and some type of roller? If it matters, I have to go across a carpet transition to get from the sink (RO/DI) to the aquarium.

I need some great common sense advice:2 cents:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Why can't you just run a pump with vinyl tubing straight from salt water holding tank to tank? I run a maxijet 1200 a good 40 feet that way... no buckets to carry at all.... maybe i missed something that would prevent this?

The mj1200 would easily pump that far and into sump or display??

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's sort of scary but I guess it could be done. What kind of vinyl tubing do you use. I got some that's so stiff I only used it from my sump as a return. The other is very flexible that I got from BRS. I just use it to transfer between the two 20 gallon buckets. How do you control the power? How do you hold tubing at tank while you turn on the pump? Do you have a gate valve on the end of the tubing at your tank?

I've got a Eheim 1260 as my pump so it should carry the water 30 feet, right?

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
Build a stand for mixing containers. Drill the containers and add bulk heads use gravity to fill your buckets. You can also add a quick release fitting along with your ehiem to the elevated holding tank to pump the water straight to your tank. Standard clear vinyl hose from the hardware store is what I use.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I guess I should have actually measured how far apart my water and tank are apart. I'm gonna need to pump my water 60 feet from tub to tank. Only 30 feet to the basement door for draining old water. With my Eheim 1260, I'm still okay, right?

Next question, are there any particular containers you find are better? Since I have a 75 gallon with a 30 gallon sump, I figure I'm at about 85 gallons total water after considering rock and sand... What size containers would you use?

·
Registered
987 Posts
The tubing is vinyl from Lowes... they cut the amount you need... that pump wouldn't have any problem with that distance... as I said my mj1200 could do a easy 100 foot I would guess.. of course its a level run with only a small climb to my sump...

I use a plastic clamp to hold the tubing on the sump... I have a line marked on my sump and when the water hits that line I unplug it.... you could put a valve inline if you wanted to control flow.. but IMO that's the easiest solution

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.