Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

Hurricane Matthew

5K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  gerald 
#1 ·
This storm has really picked up some momentum in the last 24 hours! The hurricane was upgraded to a category 5 storm today with current wind speeds of 160mph! They still aren't certain about the track, but the forecast models are toward the bottom of the page in the link. Judging by those it looks like at least some type of impact to NC is nearly certain. Now is a good time to test out those generators, battery backups, or whatever you may use, and make preparations in case any of us are left without power for any length of time.

http://www.wral.com/edge-of-hurricane-matthew-whips-at-aruba-bonaire-curacao/16062254/

#2 ·
As always i have a generator to run my whole house and tanks (125 and 150 and even a 300g sump) that i can hold fish or coral if power looks like it will be out an extended time in wilmington.
Even if you dont get a generator a battery powered air pump and air stone go along way. When i had a 14g biocube going i ran it off an 1100w jump pack for 12 hrs. Water movement and surface agitation is way more important then lights. Only other thing you would really have to worry about is temp if the ac in your house isnt running

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Great points! Being prepared doesn't always mean you have to spend a ton. I have seen some small air pumps with hosing and an air stone that run off of 2 double a batteries. I think they are used for fishermen to keep their bait alive and I think I saw it at a Bass Pro Shop. I want to say the one I saw was less than 20 dollars, which is a small price to pay to save your tank! If anyone else has any power outage pro tips feel free to post them up! Maybe it will help someone save their tank if this hurricane gets too close.

#7 ·
Anybody having any power-outage problems yet? The wind is kicking the trees around here and the lights have flickered a dozen or so times. I figure it is only a matter of time before we lose power. Everyone stay safe, and keep us updated! Especially our eastern county folks!

#21 ·
Here's my favorite rainfall link: CoCoRaHS - Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network
Select a State, then County, then Date. Most of these CoCoRaHs rain gauges are manual, and maintained by volunteers. The rainfall data is from 7 am the day before to 7 am on the reported day. NOAA, airports, and most government rain gauges record automatically, from midnight to midnight, so the CoCoRaHS data may appear to be a day later than the govt gauges, depending on the timing of rainfall. The real strength of the CoCoRaHs network is that it has WAY more gauges in out-of-the-way places.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.