Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I set up a new tank and started going thru my old equipment. A little back story... I moved some years ago and had to sell off, all of my live stock, though I kept ALL of my hardware, rock, tanks & have had very small freshwater setups for some time to keep me "in" the hobby. A few weeks ago I had a wild thought, bought a 26 gallon bowfront and bought all new equipment to start a nano reef. Needless to say when I returned home, I looked around and the tons of aquarium equipment I already have and made the justification to start going thru it. I have been diligently vinegar cleaning things and making sure items still work, so I may put some of it up for sale in the for sale thread... & then... I came upon my old RedSea Prizm Deluxe.

I bought this skimmer in my early days of reef keeping, without doing my homework. And I can honestly say it was one of the most expensive mistakes I have ever made in the hobby. Out of the box it was a neat design, looked like a winner, but in the tank it was absolutely atrocious. It performed like a drunk uncle at Thanksgiving dinner, every five minutes it was either making entirely too much noise, or vomiting up foam. This behavior in turn, overflowed the collection cup non-stop.

Thru the years MANY individuals in the hobby have stated that the best place for this skimmer is in the trash, and not to waste ones time with it. But I knew that there just had to be something more for this little skimmer, the design, its low profile, its all there, it just needed tweaking.

Hence I searched how to mod the Red Sea Prizm Deluxe, to achieve a dense foam and consistent performance. I removed the impeller, and added the most common mod in the hobby, a master crafted & strategically circular cut... abrasive cleaning pad. I shaved down the impeller blades to accommodate the 1/8"w. pad, cut the pad away from its sponge counterpart, then cut a circular template out to fit the freshly cut impeller. I stretched the middle on the cut piece to fit around the 1/16" of impeller in the center, which I left to add a little rigidity to the mod itself. I then used high-test fishing line to secure the pad to the outer edges of the impeller, and then finished up with super glue to make sure it would never come apart.

As for the short air intake, I doubled the length of the air hose and added a maxi-jet air intake nozzle, to throttle the overall air supply.

I then re-assembled the skimmer, installed, primed, and was absolutely amazed by the difference. This P.O.S. skimmer went from "drunk uncle" to "worlds greatest dad" in about thirty minutes! Let me clarify by saying that I NEVER was able to achieve a decent foam, it was always super wet, and overflowing. I could never dial it in, & I did not feel safe leaving it on unattended, because it would suck all of the water out of my tank. But that was then, and this is now a simple modded beast of a skimmer.

I am able to dial the skimmer in with little effort now, and it skims a nice dry foam. Over the past 24 hours it has done quite nicely on a newly setup tank. It actually reminded me of the first start-up with my huge Reef-Octopus skimmer. And it is MUCH quieter now, which is a very welcome aspect!

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Very cool! Glad you could you mod it and actually get some usage out of it. Welcome back to the hobby as well, were glad to have you!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I am glad that I was able to make it work so well!!!

-And I will get a little use out of it, though I have a new tunze skimmer on its way for my new tank setup. I may leave the Prizm on the tank for a week or so just to see how well it works now! I honestly had forgotten about the Prizm, and I just couldnt chuck it out in the can when I found it. If it keeps working well, I will probably put it in the for sale thread. :) !

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update, still skimming strong yet quiet. I have emptied the cup once, skimmed wet, but dark and frothy. I am going to do a vinegar soak to clean it up and then try a clean run, then post my results. Or if I add any additional mods, I will notate that also. I am so impressed with what a few simple mods have already done to this piece of equipment.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some updates.

I drilled out the air intake on top of the siphon elbow, as well on top of the impeller to allow more air flow. I also replaced the stock air hose, which was 1/8", to standard 1/4" hose. This allows for an abundance of air to hit the impeller, as I am trying to hone in on the results that I want. I also added a micro-bubble catcher on the spill-over from the reaction chamber, though I may move this down into the chamber before the media basket to keep things nice and neat.

Also, I have tried and tried to get this skimmer to overflow now & I have to do a lot to do so. After these simple mods, this skimmer has become a whole hell of a lot more reliable. Pics as follows, with results! - (1) Drilled air intake (2) New 1/4" air hose (3) Micro Bubble Catcher (4) startup after new mods and cleaning (5) 12 hours later - results!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last picture showing a little more skim-mate. Sort of kicking myself, but I am about to take this bad boy off the tank and play with my Tunze 9002. It's a shame that I got this skimmer working so well AFTER I bought another skimmer.

Oh well, maybe I will sell the Red Sea Prizm?? ;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last update, just took it off my tank. Its filled up with gunk. I left it on there a little bit longer just to make sure it was'nt going to flip out. Does well with whatever I throw at it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts