Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

Just curious

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Knr499 
#1 ·
Probably a dumb question but do all coral close at full dark.

#3 ·
I know that Ph swings with light under normal conditions, is there anyway to control that? Most of my softies look horrible in the morning but look fine after a couple hours of light. Midday Ph is 8.3 to 8.4, I have never checked it at night, should I?

#4 ·
A daytime pH rise is normal and can be quite large in natural reef lagoons. It is a good idea to check your pH at night and see how much it is changing from day to night which can indicate if the if something wrong with your buffering capacity (alkalinity). When it comes to coral health and water quality stability, especially over time, is one of the most critical factors.

Different species of corals are open at different times. Some are daytime active, others are nocturnal, some stay "open" all the time, and different types behave differently. Softies in particular close up and shrink at night in order to shed some outer cells in order to open up larger over time.

Reactions: Knr499 and gerald
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.