Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got a bunch of little Kenya trees from dstacy9 that were doing amazing since I got them but this week they have been a bit temperamental. They have all started to close up and look very pissed off. They are doing it in turns and once one closes, it will stay close for a good 3 days before slowly opening back up. One started closing, then the next and the next, by the time the last closed, the first one was fully open again. I know they are in the leather family and that leathers can close up for bits of time and get a waxy coating. Has anyone noticed anything similar on their trees?

All parameters are normal. Nothing has changed. All other corals are doing well including my long polyp leather. Even my duncan, who lets me know when my water needs attention, are doing well. Fully extended and super happy.

Here is a pic of the trees open and one blurry one in the front closed. A good third of them are now closed like the blurry one in the pic.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My kenya tree does that when it is dropping babies all over the tank. :) Also if a snail, crab or fish irritates it. Kenya trees are very hardy. I wouldn't be too concerned yet, especially if your parameters are in check.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My kenya tree does that when it is dropping babies all over the tank. :) Also if a snail, crab or fish irritates it. Kenya trees are very hardy. I wouldn't be too concerned yet, especially if your parameters are in check.
There's a reason folks give them away! :blob:

Reactions: joereefer

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have one that's about 3 inches I moved it not thinking and it stayed closed for a long time like 3 weeks I figured out it was a low flow high light area I moved it lower with a high flow and it opened right up and has stayed open since

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The largest one is only about 3" so I dont think they should be dropping babies yet. I will keep an eye on them. I guess its just the way they behave. They close up from time to time.

I have one that's about 3 inches I moved it not thinking and it stayed closed for a long time like 3 weeks I figured out it was a low flow high light area I moved it lower with a high flow and it opened right up and has stayed open since
I have moved them around a bit thinking the same thing. But the one that was in low light/high flow also closed up. I moved it to the high light/low flow and it opened right up. Same with the high light/low flow ones. Moved them to the opposite side of the tank and they are opening up. They are just crazy.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yup Lem same thing happens to my huge mother tree these came from. It was just shriveled up for a good 4, 5 days now open larger and better than ever. I wouldn't work about it as long as everything else is going well. Crazy how fast they spread right? Haha.

·
Registered
530 Posts
my kenya tree was about a 3" frag that was last year summer time now it is 10+ " tall and has dropped about 100 babies

Reactions: dstacy9
1 - 7 of 7 Posts