Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

Legality of native tanks?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  JessicaSern 
#1 ·
I was planning on setting up a native 55 gallon tank here in NC and stocking it with a few bluegill, green sunfish, redbreast, and I contacted a local hatchery. I was informed that possession or transport of these "game" fish was illegal without a license from the state. I then contacted NC wildlife resources Commission over phone and was told very sternly that it would be highly illegal even if these "game" fish were obtained from reputable breeders. They seemed to believe that I'd already set up my tank even though I repeatedly told them that I was just doing some research on the topic before making any big decisions. Anyone have any experience with this topic? Is this just one of those unenforceable laws or are they going to start breaking down doors and doing house checks to make sure that you've killed and cooked what you brought home from the creek?

#2 · (Edited)
Retired State of NC LEO here...Years back I was doing a drug bust a home in Harnett County...NC Wildlife Officers also came by and arrested the subject for possession of some local species (not sure what though...sorry), and not local such as a Caiman in his bathtub, a building with snakes from around the world such as a Cobra and more. So, yes they do actually check if they catch wind of certain things.

I know that a past member here got busted for having some NC Coral...I was a super moderator here at the time and they contacted me saying they were monitoring him on the site because he was talking about his NC Local Coral...ugh

#5 ·
"I was informed that possession or transport of these "game" fish was illegal without a license from the state. I then contacted NC wildlife resources Commission over phone and was told very sternly that it would be highly illegal even if these "game" fish were obtained from reputable breeders. "

That differs dramatically from what I was told years ago. It is certainly illegal to release any fish, game or otherwise, into public waters of the state. But it's legal, as I understand, to keep alive game fish caught on hook & line, and non-game fish caught by hook & line, traps, or nets, following all fishing license regs of course. You cannot sell them, but you can keep them for personal use (food, aquarium, or self-contained pond with no outlet to a stream). I've been leading native fish field trips for RAS and other clubs for many years, and this is what I was told by WRC staff years ago (most of whom have retired now). Have things changed in recent years?

#7 ·
Yeah if I remember right you can keep freshwater local fishes as long as you have a valid NC License and follow these regulations:

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Regs/Documents/Nongame-Fish.pdf

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Regs/Documents/Warmwater-Game-Fish.pdf

The downside is you cannot ever release them or return them to the wild to prevent the risk of spreading cultured diseases back to the wild.

There are several species of killifish, pond fishes, and minnows that stay small and make cool inhabitants for a local aquarium. Just keep in mind that once you catch it and put it in a tank you're stuck with them.

Also for pond stocking and aquaculture purposes you used to need a survey and approval by both DNER and NC Wildlife to get permits to purchase, stock, sell, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.