Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lily pads grew like crazy, great for sucking nitrates out your water. Would like to trade for another type of freshwater plant that I don't have. Let me know

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
I could trade you a coral frag for some next time you make it to the farm...I only have java fern and anacharis lol, you probably already have those! :)

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
The plant is Limnobium laevigatum (Amazon Frogbit) - one of the best and easiest ammonia/nitrate gluttons.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
As soon as you dump a bucket load of it in the compost, someone will respond;
Happens every time. Just think of all that waste nitrogen you're taking out, and don't feel bad. I use it in my redworm bin.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As soon as you dump a bucket load of it in the compost, someone will respond;
Happens every time. Just think of all that waste nitrogen you're taking out, and don't feel bad. I use it in my redworm bin.
Is it worth setting them up in a 20 gallon tank, tap water and just sun light? Would they even last in that type of set up?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Yeah, they might. Refill it with used fish water to add some nutrients and minerals. Good to have some extra frogbit on hand anyway -- if you need to medicate a tank and the filter bacteria is killed (or when a filter motor fails), frogbit is a great way to instantly replace the ammonia-consuming function.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts