Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
I've had redseamax tanks before they are nice. I would never own another due to the amount of upgrades they need. Save your money and build you a system from scratch.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I beg to differ. I like mine. Not sure what upgrades you are referring to. They can run fine as stock. A lot of people do. Also, if you look at the fact that you get pumps, skimmer, heater, lights, I think it is probably not really much more expensive they buying everything separate. I also love the look. It is so neat and clean looking.
I have made some changes to mine, not because I had to but because I wanted to. I replaced the number 2 pump with a pump capable of running my chiller so that I only had one pump. I left the stock skimmer, once I got it dialed in, it worked like a champ. I also opted to replace my T5's with LED's only because I was tried of changing T5's at about $120 a pop.
The tank would have run fine the way that it was. I think the trick to running it stock is to clean the back occasionally and if you run the sponges, clean them so that they do not be come nitrate magnets.
I bought mine new, but you can find good deals on used ones.
There is a whole forum on Reef Sanctuary for the Red Sea Max. There you can see all the different opinions on the tank.

BTW, it is my second Red Sea tank. I also had the 130D. I also liked it.

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
I beg to differ. I like mine. Not sure what upgrades you are referring to. They can run fine as stock. A lot of people do. Also, if you look at the fact that you get pumps, skimmer, heater, lights, I think it is probably not really much more expensive they buying everything separate. I also love the look. It is so neat and clean looking.
I have made some changes to mine, not because I had to but because I wanted to. I replaced the number 2 pump with a pump capable of running my chiller so that I only had one pump. I left the stock skimmer, once I got it dialed in, it worked like a champ. I also opted to replace my T5's with LED's only because I was tried of changing T5's at about $120 a pop.
The tank would have run fine the way that it was. I think the trick to running it stock is to clean the back occasionally and if you run the sponges, clean them so that they do not be come nitrate magnets.
I bought mine new, but you can find good deals on used ones.
There is a whole forum on Reef Sanctuary for the Red Sea Max. There you can see all the different opinions on the tank.

BTW, it is my second Red Sea tank. I also had the 130D. I also liked it.
Some of the upgrades you listed... Chiller, return pumps, lights. Definitely a chiller of you leave the stock light and hood on it. Why spend all that money on a all in one and spend that much more doing upgrades. If you read up on the threads 90% of them are on upgrades and how to make the tank better. Not trying to bash them just give you first hand experience. I wasted a lot of money trying to make it better then stock. Just buy a nice drilled tank and build your own. ;)

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Some of the upgrades you listed... Chiller, return pumps, lights. Definitely a chiller of you leave the stock light and hood on it. Why spend all that money on a all in one and spend that much more doing upgrades. If you read up on the threads 90% of them are on upgrades and how to make the tank better. Not trying to bash them just give you first hand experience. I wasted a lot of money trying to make it better then stock. Just buy a nice drilled tank and build your own. ;)

I didn't want a sump and I did not want to go HOB or in-tank like I did with my 100 gallon that I used t have. I also like the idea of it being totally enclosed. Also, except for the chiller, the Red Sea is a very quiet tank. Quieter than my 100 gallon ever was and it didn't have a chiller. My T5 fixture was not quiet. It may have even been louder than the chiller. Also to keep my 100 cool in the winter (because we use our fireplace) and because of all the HOB equipment, I had to run it open top. Jumper loved this. Had trouble keeping wrasses.

The fireplace is the only reason that I added the chiller and changed the pump. My chiller rarely runs in the summer. The air conditioner keeps everything cool enough.

I still think it can be run successfully without mods.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I also have one and love it. I bought mine used however and I am glad that I did. Mine had one small scratch on the right side - not noticeable and one thing I have learned is that you generally end up with a small scratch somewhere so why worry?!?

Like blackbeltmom I run a chiller on mine. I also did an LED retrofit which was a custom job done by Dave Faison at Nanobox Reef. I am very pleased with the LED's but the T-5's where also all that you need so don't feel like you have to do an LED retrofit. The only downside on the stock lighting is that the moonlights are great as moonlights but don't give you the pop that LED's do. (A stunner strip would work well in the stock hood). In fact, if I were to do it again, I would have used the LED upgrade and still run two T-5 bulbs so that you get the best of both.

Skimmer is great once you get it dialed in but it can be a challenge to figure it out. Once you get it set, it's a beast and my tank is heavily stocked.

I really like the clean lines and most of all, I have no concerns over a leak with the AIO. Good luck - they are really nice tanks!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Today I saw one of these at my lfs and was excited because I've been looking one myself.... and then was informed the owner cleaned the glass when he drained it with a logical choice... steel wool. One word... ruined.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Today I saw one of these at my lfs and was excited because I've been looking one myself.... and then was informed the owner cleaned the glass when he drained it with a logical choice... steel wool. One word... ruined.
That sucks! I have been looking at them as well. Just out of curiosity what were they asking for it?

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
I also looked at this tank. The glass was in very bad shape. I've never seen so many scratches on one tank. Can you say DUMB A$$!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I have bought one used for my father, I wouldn't buy another one simply because I don't like the design. No redundancy built in, the tank design is cramped and a chiller is pretty much required. For the same price as a Rsm I could design and build my own system with higher quality components the way I want it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts