Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

MACNA in NC

24K views 63 replies 32 participants last post by  jsnrho82 
#1 ·
OK folks. I think it's time for us to have a MACNA in NC. The triangle area has got to have the largest presence of Reef Aquarium Shops on the entire east coast, and I think it's time to show the rest of the world how muuch we love this hobby here in NC. I'm going to make this a sticky and if everryone who is seriously interested in helping to make this happen would chime in, I have no doubt we can do it. Any ideas, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

#19 ·
We already have an established club with a long history of putting on a medium size event. http://raleighaquariumsociety.org/workshop/index.html

If you haven't attended a RAS meeting you don't know what you are missing. The January meeting featured Brian Campo of The Reef Farm. http://www.carolinafishtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7322&highlight= The talks at the monthly meetings may be pure SW like this one, pure FW like collecting fish in South America or of interest to both sides of the hobby like the one where we went into the lab and looked at fish disease.

I think all the SW people need to get behind this club and attend the Workshop. This year we have Anthony Calfo and Chris Jury as saltwater speakers. Last year we had Brian Plankis and Scott Fellman. These guys are internationally known in the SW community. If people here aren't willing to spend $20 for a weekend ticket we are never going to have the support we need to put on a $175 a ticket event!

#21 ·
Ah ha! So, we are actually talking about bringing MACNA here? On Mr.Bean's thread sounds like he wants to start something new - or am I reading one or both of these wrong?

Not that there is anything wrong with something new, but having MACNA here sounds like it would be a much bigger event - and sure to be a success. Details, berryman, details, indeed. You have my support on whatever you need.

Indeed, Mr. Bean, that is the problem we run into at RAS - lotsa talk, but need more people raising their hands to say they will do it! Also, seems like no one around here is willing to spend the $, like Carmie said - $20 dollars too much!!! I am hoping that for RAS is sw folks don't believe there will be enough there for them, and we are working hard on changing that opinion - it isn't even true!

#22 ·
The bids for the 2010 MACNA end on 1/31, so I think we should start to plan for 2011. That will give us a year to gain support and develop a proposal and then another year to actually plan the event. By then hopefully we will be out of this dreaded recession and the hobby will be flourishing. I'd hate to attempt something of this scale right now anyway given the dreary economic outlook for the near future. Anyway, for starters anyone intereted should read this thread about the history of MACNA and the steps in developing the proposal.

http://masna.org/Membership/Article...cleView/articleId/50/MACNA-Host-Handbook.aspx

Next, I'd like to start to form a team to develop the proposal. Even if you aren't sure you'll be able to actually help with the event, you can do your part just by helping to coordinate the effort to get the bid. If you are interested in this please PM me with your e-mail address so I can set up a distribution list and let me know how involved you are willing to be. We need leaders, but we also need people just willing to do small things here and there. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#23 ·
Ah, man, reading those lists of speakers makes me want to burst into tears of longing......

Okay, so I understand this now, and I don't know that there isn't going to be enough smaller events before then to get us ready for it. I think it'll be okay, and if you want to throw another event in there, Mr.Bean, it isn't a bad idea, but I wish you would help our club with our swap event instead, just make it even bigger and better. It is the same idea, after all.......and I sure wouldn't mind an ambitous partner!!!

I am going to go cry now, until Berry tells me what we need to do to get started. Julian Sprung, for goodness sake.........Martin Moe for crying out loud.........

#24 ·
That sounds like a great idea. I was going to see if I can attend the one they have this year. I wasn't able to make to the one last year, but to have it in NC was would be awesome. Not having to pay for a place to stay and transportation. Definately worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.