Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
He backed out but we got Marc Levenson instead, who, IMO, was at least as good. It was a month ago though. Sorry you missed it. There will be more big events soon. Stay tuned for more info.

Berry, I am glad you are still thinking about this!!! Listen, jpatter mentioned something at an RAS meeting I dunno, a few weeks ago. He said that some people thought we should hold two meetings a month at RAS, one fresh and one salt. Linda and I almost blew him completely out of the water, so to speak, but now I wonder.....although I try not to think about what jpatter says, lol, there may be something to this. I may have been imagining his eye turning in my direction when he said this, or maybe not, since I am the VP of this club and an avid saltwater geek....it would only make sense if I agreed to run it, I guess...

Would indeed that be something we could use to gauge the interest and the following we would need to pull off an event like this? If so, perhaps we should see if we can do it. I suppose it will just be put to a vote with the board members, and they are an agreeable lot as long as there are plenty of hands to wield the work we propose......

What is the present number of members of RAS? And does RAS have funds for such a big event? And if not, how would RAS go about raising monies for this said event? MAybe a reefapoloza type event could help with the funds

What is the present number of members of RAS? And does RAS have funds for such a big event? And if not, how would RAS go about raising monies for this said event? MAybe a reefapoloza type event could help with the funds
I havent seen the membership numbers post workshop, but it should be between 100 and 120.

And yes RAS has enough funding for this type of event.

John

I’m all for striving to host a MACNA sometime in the future but think the clubs of North Carolina should strive to host more mid size events before that. Maybe something such as an east coast frag swap. We should attempt to exploit North Carolina’s location being half way between New York and Florida and easy driving distance for the clubs in the surrounding states.

I seriously believe organizing a medium sized east coast frag swap each year such as the Midwest frag swap would be more beneficial to the club then striving to host a MACNA conference once. A yearly event would bring in more revenue, converge and vendors year in and year out then a one time MACNA event.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
I agree. I still think MACNA would be cool at some point, but a regional annual event would be cool too and like Bean said, maybe that could raise funds for a MACNA type event. No offense to RAS members, but regardless of whether or not they could do it, I just don't see it happenning through RAS. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

RAS already hosts the largest annual event in the southeast.

Also Puffy is trying to organize a second annual event in the late oct early nov timeframe.

But there are several reasons why I dont see a big frag swap type of event working in the triangle area.

The first and most obvious is the fact that there are multiple regular FREE frag swaps in the region. So when asked people commented that they were not willing to come to a RAS frag swap (entry fee was $2.00) people said they would rather just wait the few weeks and go to the free one. Yes 30-50 people show up but you dont see the 200-300 people that you see at a free swap.

I also think from a national view the traingle is lacking when it comes to attracting this type of event when compared to nearby drivable locations (Atlanta and DC). RTP doesnt have a Fish and Wildlife inspection station. This makes it alot harder for vendors to tranship in livestock. Also RTP doesnt have alot of direct flights making it harder for people to get here and more expensive. And of course there really arent that many field trip options for people to do (and spouses). I see more pics and threads about the side trips at big conventions than I see about actual events at the convention.

And to Brandons point about workers. We are always way short on workers for events. We need ALOT more people showing up and working at the smaller events. Alot of the people who do the work for the RAS workshop cant/wont work at another event. So we need new workers and alot of them to pull a second event off in a year.

just a few words for thought.

John

ReefSMART

Here is our chance to show them we can support a real industry show

ReefSMART Expo was created with the help of alot of the people that put on the Pittsburgh MACNA and the treasurer from the last MACNA (Atlanta) so if we can get support I think it will bring alot of visibility to the area and put us on equal footing with some of the other mecca's. I know there is alot of support for a MACNA type event in the area, but the first thing we have to do is support larger local events and bring in all of the clubs together.

RAS has actually done a very good job of promoting and hosting their show for a number of years despite the popular saltwater opinion. This is very important because it gives the area a track record. I am working hard with the Charlotte clubs to bring them in as well so we can all create one big community. Once we get a good track record for this type of event it is much easier to draw support for an event like MACNA. Or maybe ReefSMART can become the MACNA of the area. :D

Aw. I wuv u raaden thank you. And yup yup yup the Swap & Sale is ON - LOTS of great vendors! See our threads in this forum here for more details. We were even put in Reefkeeping Online Magazine for this one, huzzah score one for the saltwater membership effort! =)

You guys better come after I got all these great saltwater vendors, now show us that we are trying for a reason and show up! =) Don't make me put a "you shoulda been there" post up telling you guys all you missed - a lot of my vendors are not allowed to advertise what they are bringing on here - so better show up and see! After all, it's free to attend and you may bring a hand coolor of your own to sell or trade from if you like!

NOTE I said HAND cooler! =) No wheelies or big ones please you must be able to hold it the whole time, no fire hazards!

didnt read previous post.ha
Heh, it will never make it here!.... My understanding is Atlantic city almost didn't make the cut last year and WWC played its card right to get it in orlando this year. The closest it will get is Atlanta, if Atlantis can pull some strings.

DC or Hotlanta are probably our two best bets for MACNA. I would definitely go to either.

Just telling you all who siad there arent enouhg flights directly to nc from south...well

was just reading the paper and saw"delta adds new direct flight from orlando fl to raleigh-durham,nc"...lol freaky stuff..maybe macna is meant to be in nc???????

Thread is three years old just f.y.i.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: PuffyLuv
41 - 60 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.