Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I finally got my ro/di unit and I am making my first batch of salt water. To my understanding I need to aerate the water for at least 24 hours after I put in the salt mix. Question...can I use 2 bubble wands I have to accomplish this? They are 28 " each and put out alot of bubbles...so much so I could not use them for my tanks. Thanks and any other advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Man I must be doing something wrong lol. I always dump my salt in the water, throw in a powerhead for a few hrs, then do my water changes. I have done it like that for about 8yrs and have never had an issue..... I just make sure the temp is about the same and then run with it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I usually let it mix overnight with a powerhead; don't worry about further aeration.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Josh1,..Co2 in water would lower ph....Like Gnarley said make sure the temperature is the same so you don`t shock the inhabitants,also the salt would mix a lot easier......An air stone would work fine,messy ,but fine,,It is a lot easier and faster to mix and move water with a pump or power head

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I simply do as the guys above. Heater and powerhead in a 32gal rubbermade for at least a day. Making the saltwater's the easy part, but if you can part it, then you know you might have a powerful ally

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just make sure to add salt slowly. I started my new tank and tried to mix about 100 gallons at once in the tank. Add salt too fast causes super concentration which causes precipitation. Had to drain whole thing and start over. Also it does not hurt to roll around the dry salt in the bucket it came in to mix the distribution around. Not all salts have same instructions so check direct with MFG. To play it safe.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts