Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to set up a predatory tank. I currently have a 65 gallon salt water tank...all peaceful. I also have a 37 gallon seahorse tank. I am ready to get a tank with a lion fish, small eel, maybe trigger and angels. My question is what do you think a minimum size tank is for this project? I am thinking at least 100 gallons. As we all know...more gallons...more money. Any other input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
767 Posts
72" 125 gallon is a good start for those fish. Most get upwards of 10"+ with some getting much larger. You have to consider the depth of the tank and the size of these fish. They get so big and then can't turn around or swim back to the other side of the tank because of LR and a narrow tank. Then they get agitated and a little aggressive.

·
Registered
176 Posts
One thing you may want to think about is,Many of the fish that you would like to have get very big,What would make more since to me is,Do a little research and find out which angel gets 6" rather than a foot,or a lion fish that gets only 7" rather than 18 inches,just a thought,that way you can have more of what you want ,and spend less of what you don`t have to spend,another thing that you should think about is all those fish you would like to keep can live well over twenty years,and if the time came to sell or if you had to get rid of them ,more hobbiest would be able to take a smaller fish off of you than some monster,The maintainace and up keep on a tank are the main things that make people leave the hobby.......With fish that require more food and put off more waste per given volume of water,you are really going to want to up the filteration on that tank,It is not the size of the fish when it goes in,rather it is the size of the fish when it grows up...Just my two cents

1 - 3 of 3 Posts