Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

Moving a Reef Tank

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  MotoGod 
I moved my 300 and it was a LOOOONG process. Took me @ 6 hours to tear down the tank itself into various buckets and bins. I saved only enough water to cover the live rock I was moving.

I actually hired movers from Craigslist (insured ones) to do the heavy lifting for me since it was short notice. 2 guys came out and moved a 300 gallon glass tank with shoulder harnesses. I nearly wet myself when we finally got it off the stand....I thought they were gonna drop it. They moved it to my trailer @ 70 feet away on the ground floor...and it sat in my trailer for a few weeks while I built my stand and prepped everything else.

Fish lived in a RubberMaid bin (with live rock, a powerhead and heater) and my 20G QT tanks until I got the tank back up...and I only lost 1 fish in the ordeal. So patience is key for sure ;-)

Once I was ready, I got 4 guys (including myself) and a heavy duty dollie and we dead lifted the 900lb tank onto the dolly....rolled it to where it needed to go in my living room and then dead lifted it up onto the stand. It was actually pretty easy to deadlift, which was surprising.

So my suggestion is to just plan your move, then review it....then review it again. My move wasn't planned at all. The guy that owned the tank called me and said "Hey come get it tomorrow for a killer deal, but it has to be tomorrow". So I called into work and spent like 8-10 hours at his restaurant tearing it all down with some help from a few friends I could wrangle in ;-)

Up to you really. You can go with live sand and spend a little more money, or get non live sand and seed it with some live sand from a buddies tank. Either way....it will eventually become live sand :) I went with live sand....and took the sand I had in my 90 gallon and rinsed it all in the driveway before putting it in my 300. So I had a 50/50 mix of live and non-live sand when I started.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.