Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Do the SECORE tiles support corals you planted on them, or are they settling substrate for wild-spawned corals?

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Sorry guys. Been crazy busy lately but allow me to catch up a little.

Gerald,

The SECORE tiles end up getting used for both. Initially there were several different models that have been discontinued as research has yielded more efficient results with newer and more natural tiles. The tiles are cured in raw seawater to allow them to pick up natural communities and ideally the biomarkers that will help coral larvae choose to settle on them. Once the corals spawn we take the reproductive packets back to the lab for cross-fertilization and larval culture. Once the larvae have matured and are ready to start searching for the bottom they are placed in large bins with the tiles so they will settle on them and begin to grow a new coral. Once these settlers start growing their initial polyps and expanding we transplant them to an in-water nursery for 6 weeks to 18 months depending on the species. Those corals are then transplanted out to the reef to start new coral colonies in degraded or damaged areas.

Side note, the SECORE program achieved full success this past year in 2016 with a coral planted in Curacao in 2011 spawning and producing viable larvae for the first time ever, proving that this is a viable restoration program.

These tile also make a great substrate for fragmented corals and my former associate in Curacao is using them to propagate zoanthids and gorgonians because the structure makes them very easy to load into raceways. We are working on a model to use this fragmentation strategy as an alternate methodology for rapid reef restoration by utilizing still living but damaged native reef fragments.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey my friend I was just thinking of you the other day especially since I am taking a cruise Nov. 2018 and Curacao is one of our ports. Didn't know if you were still there but, I see you have moved on and living the life. I have a new phone number and had lost yours but I am sure you have a new one as well. 910-386-9729 also my email is still [email protected]. Hit me up my friend.

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Hey my friend I was just thinking of you the other day especially since I am taking a cruise Nov. 2018 and Curacao is one of our ports. Didn't know if you were still there but, I see you have moved on and living the life. I have a new phone number and had lost yours but I am sure you have a new one as well. 910-386-9729 also my email is still [email protected]. Hit me up my friend.
Yeah...Joe is movin' around shaking things up. ;) Good to see you posting Chief.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts