Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While searching for a local aquarium club to join now that I am back stateside - I found you guys so here goes.

I'm Lisa, a 35yo recently returned Virginia native who has spent the last 13 years in New Zealand. (Yes it is as beautiful as in LOTR) I have never lived in NC before but my best friend is here so when I came home, I landed here and now I have a job and just found a place in Butner I move into the first week in Nov.

I have been into aquatics since I had my first goldfish in middle school. I have always been a freshwater girl, and I have just started purchasing some tanks this week in preparation for my move. (can't set anything up where I am now)

I have a 72gallon bowfront I just picked up, a 20L and 10 I am picking up Thursday, and two 2.5s that are currently housing my Betta boys as I couldn't go without having some fish. Still looking to add probably a 40B to the mix as well.

Plans...
72 will definitely be a tropical community. (Not alot of freshwater people on here? I have seen what feels like 3/4 posts being salt?)
Moderately planted
Filter: Rena Filstar XP3
1x Pictus Cat
20x Neon Tetras
6x Guppies - all males
2x Neon Dwarf Gouramis
6x Cherry Barb
6x Dwarf Rainbowfish
12x White Cloud Mountain Minnows
3x Otos
(and then 1 larger showpiece fish - yet to be decided)

-----------------
10g - thinking about getting into breeding killies - always wanted to try so if I can find some good stock, I'd like to give it a go. Still doing research into what I can get locally and then looking at what to order.

-----------------
20L - Electric Blue Crayfish Species Tank - still thinking about tankmates

-----------------
20L - Well planted Shrimp tank - depending on what I can get - thinking about Cherry, Bumblebee and maybe Harlequin if I can find any of the above.

-----------------
40B - possible African Cichlid tank?

Hopefully there are a few more freshies hiding out in here somewhere and if you have any idea about availability of the shrimp or killies - please let me know. And who has the best/healthiest supply and range of freshwater fish you have found - I am willing to drive a few hours each way if it is worth the trip...?

Looking forward to meeting you all!

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Hey, Welcome to the CFT! And welcome back to the US!! Lot's of great information on this site, as well as great people. I only do salt, so I can comment much on your freshwater plans but I know there are plenty that can, and will. Good luck to you, and your new tanks!

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Welcome to CFT. I have been a salty for about 12 years but recently switched to fresh in the last year and love it. The majority of the post are salt water related but the freshwater side is growing on the forum as well. Glad to have you as a part of it and adding your experiences!
Regardless though there are some good people and knowledge here on the board!

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Welcome-

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Reeffreak in regards to always being a salty but recently added a 180g planted tank to the mix. (Blame Reeffreak. It's her fault. :))

There are some freshies on here and I'm still in the learning phase so I'll pick your brain more than answer questions. ;)

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Welcoem to CFT, Im the opp of Reeffreak and Foxface, I converted my 125 cichlid into a Mixed reef.
I still miss my Fw but way more thng to do with SW. IMHO

·
Registered
713 Posts
Welcome home... in so many ways.

I'm a salty's fiancee, but if you ever decide to jump ship and come join us on the saltwater adventure, we'll take you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the welcome! I am not averse to salt - just haven't found anything that really has "demanded" the leap yet. The fish and corals are awesome but I think I am just not a fan of the "clumps of big rock" look. I know it sounds silly but it just isn't aesthetically what I like - I like the idea of a densely planted (Macroalgae) tank but then of course fish types are limited - so all in all - I just keep playing with my fresh.

One day of course I am going to see the tank that changes my mind but until then just not feeling the love... :gh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts