Carolina Fish Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting around to getting into a reef system for myself, I grew up with a 250g reef tank at my father's house, this was years ago...mid-late 90s and we had a pretty massive die out in the early 2000s.

I believe I recall that at the time we were getting a lot of stuff from a fella that had a shop at the end of dick pond rd, right before you get to 17, on the right hand side in a little strip mall kind of place, I noticed its no longer there. There was also...a shop a woman owned...maybe over where Kroger was? Or in that area at least. I didn't think to swing through there but I doubt its gone as well.

I live a bit more inland (PeeDee area) and am going to be looking for somewhere to give my business...any recommendations? I prefer to deal with owner-run business (no chains).

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Welcome to CFT! Have a look around, there are still a few local owned businesses in the area.

·
Super Moderator
1,389 Posts
Welcome to CFT and I hope you can find some businesses in your area. I'm not familiar with that area so I can't point you in any direction, sorry.

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
Hey outlaw, welcome to CFT! We have several members here that are around your area. There's a really nice little store up in NMB called Sea Critters Depot. The owner is a nice guy and he has some good looking fish and corals. If you ever venture toward Wilmington there are several shops in that area. Thanks for joining, CFT! We are really glad to have you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the info (and the warm welcome) I actually expected this area to be a bit more...active.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There is not much of a community down here unfortunately. I've been doing reefs for years in Conway, and I've never traded a frag with anyone local......kind of sad. Buying fish locally is non existent unless you go to sea critters depot. If its a specialty item like a regal angel, better get used to the idea of mail order.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sucks to hear that, Im a little more inland (Marion) and I know theres nothing in Florence thats worth seeing. Gonna get down and check out Sea Critters Depot sometime soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sea Critter Depot is definitely the best choice. There's also Bill at Coastline Pet Supply by the back gate/ Market Common. There's a Petco on 544 that's worth note, it suffers the typical issues of a chain, but the store manager (Robert) and Department Manager (Kyle) both run a pretty tight ship. Bruce at Sea Critter is the one I prefer, just on the opposite end of the strand from me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know that this is an old post outlaw but I live in Marion and also have a friend that lives in Mullins that has a reef tank so if your ever looking to trade a few things just let me know

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi! I too am a little further inland. Camden. But y'all are within my driving range. We have 2 independent shops in the Columbia area. If you want any info, lmk! I'll have to come out to NMB to check that one out.

I'm also working on starting my refugium so if anyone has any of the plants good for that, I would love some. Will drive.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! the goal is to have a better tank than your father!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I live in Myrtle Beach. I bought a 125 gallon off of a guy in in NC today so getting closer to starting this build.

I'll need plants for a refugium at some point as well so any suggestions would be great. Pretty much a newb on a reef aquarium.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts