Carolina Fish Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to do a long drawn out introduction post lol
Seriously.. I'll try to keep it as short as possible.
Located in Columbia, SC.
I've been fish keeping for about 8 or 9 years.. maybe 10.... I can't really remember exactly when we got our first tank.
Freshwater & planted.

Currently have a 55gal and 125gal set up, but it will just be 125 as soon as we're done restocking it.

55 currently has quarantined platy in it. May keep them in there an extra week or so b/c some of them aren't looking too hot.
The tank is nothing to look at now though. I've taken almost all of the plants out and all of the wood.
http://www.carolinafishtalk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=159306&thumb=1

125 tank. This one has been set up for 8 years. Used to be such a beautifully planted lush tank. Had 7 clown loaches. Black Ghost Knife, giant plecos, rainbowfish, tiger barbs, killifish, etc.
I was so proud of it.. and then... I dunno.. something happened. One minute the fish were healthy and happy and then the next the fish started dying for some reason. It wiped out almost all of them except for 3 regular tiger barbs and 3 albinos (we still have 2 of the barbs and the albinos).
My husband wanted to get silver dollars. Without doing research, we bought some and sure enough, they completely annihilated my plants.
Heartbroken to say the least over all of it. :boohoo: I had had some of those fish for years and then they were gone for no apparent reason. I could see if I had neglected the tank or we had gotten new fish that brought in disease or something, but nope. They just started getting sick and dropping like flies. :not sure:

Add in being pregnant 3 times and having to take care of newborns, then toddlers... my tank fell far far down the list of things I cared about.

BUT... I've gotten back in to it. Have the fire under my butt again and I want my big beautiful tank back.
It's currently a bit scruffy looking
http://www.carolinafishtalk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=159314&thumb=1

90% of the plants in it are from the 55 gallon. Bought a few more faster growing plants for the background.
Battling black beard algae right now. We bought better lighting and I've had to do a lot of water changes to give it a good clean before I moved fish (the bn plecos) from the 55 gal to it so I think that's what is causing the algae to go crazy right now.
I plan on scaping it a little bit better once the other plants come in, but I don't have the patience to make it a nice clean aquascape so it will still be pretty scruffy looking after I'm done. lol

Current fish in it... Tiger barbs, albino tiger barbs, green barbs, black ruby barbs, 3 red and 3 green tiger barb glofish, bristlenose plecos, 2 golden panchax killifish

Yeah... it just sort of ended up being a mostly barb tank. I wanted to get more clown loaches, but it's not the right set up for those. We're still planning on getting about 4 or so more killifish and putting all of the platies in it as soon as they're ready.
We were looking to maybe getting dojo loaches, but we'll see. Need to look in to different kinds of loaches a bit more.

And I think that's it :)

·
Super Moderator
2,415 Posts
What sorts of symptoms did you see before and during the die off? Were the majority of fish all affected around the same time, or just one or a few fish at a time over several months? If it was a gradual wasting over many weeks or months, sometimes with white-pink sores on the head or body, and possibly bloating and/or pop-eye, it may have been a Mycobacterium infection. Myco has become increasingly common in aquarium fish over the past few decades, and probably persists unnoticed in many of our tanks, both fresh and salt.

I wouldn't worry about the black brush/beard algae (Audouinella). I kind of like it, in moderation, and it provides the same ammonium-uptake benefit that other plants do. I'd much rather have black brush than blue-green slime or green hair algae. I hope you can get everything back to its former glory!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I usually don't mind the black beard algae too much. I've never fully gotten rid of it before so there's always a little bit here and there on the filter intake or heater, but it's been spreading on to the plants lately.
Ugh, I've had blue green before. That stuff is such a pain in the butt! Thankfully I've never had a problem with it in my 125 /knock on wood and hopefully it stays that way.

As for symptoms in my fish... lemme think (it's been a few years since the die off)....
I don't remember the first few fish that died off ever having any symptoms. One day they were eating and acting normal and then the next they were dead pretty much.
When it started, that seemed to be what happened to a lot of them, but some of them did waste away which was heartbreaking to watch. Stopped eating and just became shy and lethargic until they starved to death. :( It happened to 2 of the loaches, one pleco, and the BGK (maybe more, but those are the ones I remember).
None of them ever developed any sort of physical sign of an infection like sores, pop-eye, etc.
And other than the few that died slowly, this all happened fairly fast. Don't remember how long exactly though.

·
Super Moderator
2,415 Posts
OK, that probably wasn't Myco, but whatever it was we can only guess. Could have been some gut infection like Camallanus worms, intestinal protozoa like Hexamita, Spironucleus, Myxosporideans, ... ??? If you didn't notice heavy breathing or cloudy skin then it was probably not something that attacks gills and skin. Hope it's gone now, whatever it was.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's one of the reasons why we haven't restocked the tank. Just afraid that whatever caused it is still lingering. The barbs that were left in it have been fine though so /shrugs. Can only hope that everything is ok now :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts