Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello everyone hope all your tanks are in good status..... I'm a newby at this for the last six months. I started off with a 10g and almost give with the saltwater due to out of the roof levels of nitrite and nitrate. I had no live though. Onnce I got a 3lbs piece the water chemistry finally got acceptable. Then I came acrossed a 50g tank with dual hang on the back filter with oak stand at a yard sale. By the end of two months my tank had about eight fish(diamond goby,hawkfish,dottyback,bicolor blenny,spotted tail blenny, clownfish,lawnmower blenny,and a angel coral fish along with a family of brittle stars that came in a live rock,two shrimp,emerald crab, sallylightfoot crab (I think is the name)and a couple of hermit crabs). About 25lbs of live rock. I'm working on getting more of that. Water chemistry good but about .5 Ammonia. Any suggestions on getting getting this lower. I've been using stress coat by API. Up to about 2wks ago all my fish were fine. One day I woke up and my diamond goby had a body slime on his head area,cloudy eye and white dots(I think ICK)on his body. He deid that day. Over the next 2wks a fish would stop eating get cloudy eye,body slime and die within 1-2 days of these symptoms. Only two of my fish had the white spots with the other symptoms. I'm really fustrated at this point. My husband and my son Cole age ten were really enjoying the fish. Now I lost my last one yesterday. I don't know what happened. I treated with ICH-X x4days no improvement, then Melaflix and primaflix (API products) I wonder if I should of used an antibiotic. I don't want to give up but its getting exspensive. I can't afford an RO unit right now...and may not ever get one if I can get by with just buying RO water. Now I use tap and I know this isn't the best for keeping a healthy tank. How many of yall use tap water? Can anyone help me with this situation on maybe what killed all my fish in a matter of 7 seven day? This is enough.....This is my story.

·
Registered
1 Posts
72 corner I NEED LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!

i just truned my 72gallon FW stingray tank into a SW. iv got 2yellow tangs, one maroon clown and a marbeled cat shark. the shark isnt staying in the 72 he is still small but will be getting moved to my 210gal thats is in progress as we speak. ok now back to my 72, just a few cheap corals and just some lil t5 bulbs im looking for some type of MH that will fit nicely on the corner tank. well hit me up if you have any advice.
Thanks Aaron.

:party::party::party::party:

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Dowork11b post this in the for sale WTB section.

·
Registered
464 Posts
hi all

my name is eddie and I have been in the hobby since before it was a hobby......I think

this year we purchased a small pet shop that I am shifting gears and revamping to hold lots of ultra coral at reasonable prices , my friend bill told me about this site so I checked it out and see its growing rather fast

thats great !

kind regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
me

finaly gittin back on here after a 2 year vacation... running a 470 gallon reef tank thats mostly softies now .till i can git my setup perfected (sump and skimmer issues). will put up pics if i can figure out how to ... lets see coral frogspawn, 9kinds of zoanthis, 3kinds of candy cane, yellow sun, orange sun, black sun, red rodact, pink rodact, HUGE colt, purple & green & watermellon & orange mushrooms, duncans, pipe organs, two kinds of chalace, welso, blastomussa, hydonophora, knobby tiped leather. and like 4 i cant ID plus more but cant recal now..fish orange shoulder & naso & tomini & powder blue & valimingi & yellow, & eyeliner tang, pencil streeked rabbitfish, talbot dams, half and half dams, 6 red firefish

a 120 simi reef... say simi because it was my reef till the 470 came along but only coral in there now it cabbage leather and 2 bubbletips (regular gree and a rosey tiped white) using to grow out angels and tangs now (orange shoulder, singapore angel, pavo dams, red and yellow clown (amp. melinopious) , lawnmower

a 55 peditor tank . BIGG damsels (benns and a make blue fin), lionfish, and beautyfull grouper
and 2 quarrintine 55gallons one for coral an one for fish..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello to all, new to the site!!

What's up everyone! Thought I would check out the site and get to know fellow reefers. Been in the hobby for about ten years and still love to find out new ways of doing things. I currently have a 75G full reef w/ SPS,LPS,etc..Love the pictures of the tanks and set ups that are out there. Also interested in selling,buying, and trading! Hit me up and say hello!

·
Registered
6 Posts
New guy from Wilmington

Hi, I hope everyone is having a great day. I just moved back to Wilmington last month from Sanford NC, and I am glad to be back. I just started a tank for the first time in years and I want to do this right. For starters right now, it's just a twenty gallon with sand and gravel mixed inside it. It has a heater and a filter, but no livestock. Right now, I don't know if I want to start a basic freshwater tank, or if I want to try something like a river biome tank. If anyone has already made a river tank, I'd love to hear from them.

Have a great day,
Mike the Newbie

·
Registered
626 Posts
Tim from Boone, NC here. Just joined. Have had a 58 gallon simple mixed reef tank for 7-8 years. No sump, just an AquaC Remora and carbon in the box that covers the pump. Now thinking about getting a sump. Need some advice on how reliable the siphon/return method can be. We have hardwood floors and my wife has always vetoed a sump. But now I'm feeling the need for one. Thanks. Look forward to lots of good info here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have been on here a while but never posted. Here goes, I have a 30 gallon fresh water and just purchased a 75 gallon. I want to create a planted tank in the 75 gal with Discus. Does anyone have any idea what kind of substrate and how much I will need? Anyone have advice on Discus? I have had Angels for about 15 yrs now and never had a problem.
Thanks for any input.

Trey

·
Registered
71 Posts
75 gal and an octopus tank in the making!!

Hi everyone!!!!! New to CFT but not to the hobby!! I Love trades!!!
hippo
mandarin goby
2 picasso clowns
blue lanka size of my hand and fat and sassy
norm clean up crew
tons of coral
rbta size of hand
t5
reefkeeper

let me know if im missin anything in there lol

My husband and I love the hobby, i do my research and i do it well.
I hope one day to have my whole house filled with tanks.
I am looking forward to the octopus though i must say !
thanks for reading my ramble
catherine

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

I've had a freshwater tank since I was a kid and have been nano reefing for the past 10 years. I am in the process of upgrading my tank and stopped by the LFS and they told me about this forum so I thought I would check it out. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts