Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a grade b snocasso about a week ago and its about an inch and a half long. It seems to be getting along with my true perc that had been in the tank for over a year by it self. How long does it take for them to become females? A guy at my lfs said he thought it might be 2 females.... How do I tell? Like I said I haven't seen them fight and the never seem more than 8 inches apart.

Thanks
Alex

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Typically which ever one grows larger will be the female. If the snowcasso is only 1.5 inches long, I'd bet it's still a male. My best guess is that they're both still male at this point but I'm not sure how long it's going to take them to mature to where one starts to morph into the female. I've had it happen in one of my tanks (two males, one becomes the female) but I didn't take note of the time it took to happen.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
alone by itself for a year, your existing fish is likely female. At 1.5 inches long, your new fish is harded to tell. Where was it when you bought it? If you bought it straight from the breeder, it is very likely neuter, as she keeps them all in grow out tanks. If that is the case, it sounds like you have the great beginnings of a pair :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I figured and the get along.... I have a 30 gallon so ifit was 2 females I don't really see 2 females getting along

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Sweet fish!! I love the back dot :)

Congrats on a beautiful fish!!

But Fox, a girl and a guy in a closet? My man knows to stay out of the closet.. LOL He has his 2 dresser drawers... He knows better than to go in the closet :)

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
But Fox, a girl and a guy in a closet? My man knows to stay out of the closet.. LOL He has his 2 dresser drawers... He knows better than to go in the closet :)
Guys only go in the closet when their girl is in there getting dressed. Well... a normal guy anyways.

·
Registered
800 Posts
FYI... The word "Snowcasso" has a trade mark pending. It is a name that Doni's Reef created for fish that are only bred there. Specifically for Picassos with the majority of white... or Grade A or B's with supreme coloration.
If you receive the fish from the Fish Room, it is not one of mine and is most likely an ORA picasso.
------------------------------------------------------

Back to your question, if they are not fighting, you most likely have a male/female pair or at least a male/male which will soon develop into a male/female pair. Congrats!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well doni sorry for using the wrong word and yes it is ORA. And blitz it is my fishes beauty spot ;) also I guessing its not to normal for them to get along right away

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
LOL I think ORA calls them Platinum :) if they are nearly all white.. :) Regardless, it's a beautiful fish!! The beauty spots are what makes them so special!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts