Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have an Acrylic Sump, built, but wanted to ask a few questions.

The tank going to be 180 (72x24x25), so I am thinking a 60 gallon sump. 36x20x18. What do you guys think? Will that length be enough, or should I go something like 42? I think 48 would be to much.

Anyone that builds them local?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
As big as you can fit in your planned space. So you have a skimmer and other equipment picked out? I would decide on your ideal skimmer first to make sure it fits. Are you incorporating a refugium into the sump?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As big as you can fit in your planned space. So you have a skimmer and other equipment picked out? I would decide on your ideal skimmer first to make sure it fits. Are you incorporating a refugium into the sump?

Yes it all picked out, yes I planned on going with refugium as well, I was going to go with 36 on the length, but now I am thinking I really need 48"

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just did a 40b for my 180 setup. I only had 36" to work with. I did a 16" refugium, 12" for the skimmer (reef octopus 3000), and the remainder for the return. All is working out so far. If I could I would have went bigger.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Like what was already mentioned, you have to decide which skimmer then that will help you with what size you need. You'll want the biggest tank you can fit in the space. I would do a standard 75 gallon. You also need to think about power outage overflow. You need a tank that's big enough to handle the back flow from a power outage.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just did a 40b for my 180 setup. I only had 36" to work with. I did a 16" refugium, 12" for the skimmer (reef octopus 3000), and the remainder for the return. All is working out so far. If I could I would have went bigger.
What did you use for baffles? I really wanted custom sump, but it looking slim. All places online are really expensive. I was also maybe thinking one of the aqueon's

What everyone else do for sumps? It last part of my system that needs to be ordered/built

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am also in the process of setting up a 180 gallon with the same standard dimensions. Just had a custom acrylic sump built to my design by Next Reef Systems. My sump design was 60" x 21"w x 18"h. I incorporated a fuge and a custom filter sock holder which holds two socks. I will upload some photos to give you some ideas. Unfortunately right now I can't get to the sump in the room that is holding all the stuff for the build. Pics son

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am also in the process of setting up a 180 gallon with the same standard dimensions. Just had a custom acrylic sump built to my design by Next Reef Systems. My sump design was 60" x 21"w x 18"h. I incorporated a fuge and a custom filter sock holder which holds two socks. I will upload some photos to give you some ideas. Unfortunately right now I can't get to the sump in the room that is holding all the stuff for the build. Pics son

Cool thanks for the info, looking forward to the pictures.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some photos that I found from when I took it off of the freight truck. Also the last one is from the rear of the tank (Sorry Its flipped). I am in the middle of plumbing everything right now.

Jeremy

View attachment 80810

View attachment 80818

View attachment 80826
Thanks for the pictures. Looks nice, did you have to come up with your own design or did they help you out? If you did send design, what did you use to draw it up?

Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just looked at a lot of sumps online and watched a few videos on YouTube. I jotted down the things I wanted to incorporate and then eliminated the ones that weren't that important to me as I ran out of room. I used my experience with my last few sumps to really get rid of the things that really bothered me about those tanks. (i.e. Difficulty of changing out socks, and not having a place to mount my float switches.) Also a good place for you to get sump ideas is from a website called melevsreef.com. Unfortunately he is updating it and it is temporarily down. As for drawing I used google sketch up initially. Then for some reason I lost it. So I just used Microsoft Word. Don't laugh the drawing turned out pretty decent. If you PM me your email address I will shoot you over my drawings to give you an idea.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just looked at a lot of sumps online and watched a few videos on YouTube. I jotted down the things I wanted to incorporate and then eliminated the ones that weren't that important to me as I ran out of room. I used my experience with my last few sumps to really get rid of the things that really bothered me about those tanks. (i.e. Difficulty of changing out socks, and not having a place to mount my float switches.) Also a good place for you to get sump ideas is from a website called melevsreef.com. Unfortunately he is updating it and it is temporarily down. As for drawing I used google sketch up initially. Then for some reason I lost it. So I just used Microsoft Word. Don't laugh the drawing turned out pretty decent. If you PM me your email address I will shoot you over my drawings to give you an idea.

Thanks, sent you the info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts