Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you can check out my build thread to see where i am at

http://www.carolinafishtalk.com/for...19298-28g-hqi-biocube-build.html#post16954274

28 gal bio cube HQI

bought some live rock.. yes i read the live vs dry discussion.. and since i dont know jack nor the other other excrement i took the guys advice at Nemo's Reef.

My initial idea....(yes i know this wont exactly work)
panther grouper.. white with black spots
2 domino clowns .. opposite of the clown grouper black with white spots
emerald crab...yes i read the grouper would eat the crab
banded shrimp

that was my entire idea.. now the funny thing is the guy at a LFS said it would be fine.. the guy at Nemo's said no way jose. I will go with Nemo's

once the water clears ill show what my rock set up is and id like to see what you think would be good

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Yea the Panther Grouper won't work out in the Nano Cube.

You could do Clownfish, Chromis, other damsels, clown goby, yellow goby, cardinal fish, firefish, Swissguard basslet, Royal Gramma, blennies, certain wrasses.

That should give you a solid start, as well as a pretty good selection of fish to choose from. Not saying all the fish listed would get along, so you would certainly have to do more research on which ones you want who good tank mates for them would be.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
That grouper will eat any fish that fits in his mouth. Even if the fish is too big, the grouper will latch onto his face and shake them to death. The only thing my grouper hasn't attacked is a manderine gobie and GSPuffers, but both of those fish are poisonous and taste horrible.

·
Registered
882 Posts
This is a list of nano fish to start researching Nano Fish What I do is pick one fish that is suitable for the tank and build around it. Say I want something yellow that leaves a watchman or a clown goby to start with or if I want something with just yellow in it I would probably start with a royal gramma. Match temperaments to the fish you want to build around. You probably couldn't get a blue devil to go with with a royal gramma.

Do your research on a coral banded shrimp if you are really wanting it. I had one that was a butt head and that is to put it nice.

Research is the key and try not to put anything in your tank you don't want in there because it is difficult to get fish, and invertebrates out some times.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I started looking at Goby's after i started this thread....i like the mandarin so we will see..

LMAO Mr Bubbles i did say i now know i cant do it lol.. Tang police ...:Thumbs up:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Unless you find a mandarin that is eating frozen I wouldn't do that. They eat pods and you may have trouble keeping up a suitable pod population in a 28g. Coral banded shrimps are buttholes and may be even more aggressive in a smaller tank..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have to agree with dory. I myself had the exact same combo in a 24g. Knew it was a bad mix but had to make the girlfriend happy despite hesitations. Needless to say, the coral banded has been removed and the mandarin recently died. She got super skinny and by the time I was able to get a starter culture of pods, and adding some to the tank each day to the point of them still crawling on the glass, she was too far gone. Mandarins need to be alone and especially not with something as aggressive as a coral banded.

·
Registered
113 Posts
In mine I had a black clown, lawnmower blenny, 6 line wrasse and emerald crab and they all did fine. The first fish I added was a mandarin dragonet- he was awesome but I couldn't keep the pods up for him and traded him into a lfs.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have a 27 cube that has only a pair of snowflake clowns and a cleaner shrimp, with snails, crabs, and a bunch of corals. Visitors take to it a lot more than my bigger tank. All this to say that you can do an interesting and appealing tank with only a few fish. And you can save yourself the anguish associated with difficult species (mandarins) or incompatibility (groupers, banded coral shrimp).

·
Registered
882 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went by Nemo's again today.. going to pick up more rock tomorrow started talking about cycles and what i can stock..

banded shrimp is out.. looks good but pain

Nemo's had a mandarin in stock and i thinks its amazing looking.. we talked about pods and they showed me a vbottle of stuff they have called "tigger pods" i think thats what it said.. told me id be best waiting for about 4-6 months until i could put something like that in the tank..

i think ill start with an emerald crab and then go from there

·
Registered
179 Posts
As previously stated, do a lot of research on the mandarin and also on what it takes to sustain a pod population. I'm not saying it's not possible to have them in a 28g, but a mandarin can gobble up a pod population quickly and the general thought, at least from my experience and research, is that it's hard to keep up a population in smaller tanks.
Please don't think any of us are trying to be critical. I wish I knew of this forum when I started and would've had some of this advice to follow. I made the mandarin mistake myself and it was painful to literally see it starve to death. Saltwater is a learning experience, and I'm still learning new things every day.
Also, I have no personal experience with your lfs, so this is not directed towards them, but learn to do your own research and not just go based on what they tell you. As sad as it is, there are a lot of stores that tell you what you want to hear to make the sale.

·
Registered
882 Posts
You will go broke buying pods. If you can figure out how to do a fuge on your tank that is probably the cheapest way to go. You could also raise your own pods Tigger-Pods Care and Feeding | Reef Nutrition - Premium Coral, Fish and Invertebrate Feeds for the Marine Ornamental Industry to me that seems like a lot of work and if something goes wrong your pods could be wiped out I really like a couple of my emerald crabs one got banished to the sump.

I am glad you are doing your research. It is always easier to put something in your tank than get it out. I really like a couple of my emerald crabs on is banished to sump jail. That is why I am hand feeding my crabs so if one needs to be put in sump it won't be a total rock take out.

One fish you might research that is very pretty imo is hawkfish great little nosy personality. I have a falco or spotted hawkfish. He was the last fish put in my 60. It helps to plan which fish you are going to put in and put the most aggressive fish in last. I started with a molly miller then 2 vanderbuilts and a candy yellow hogfish. If something was to happen to either the blenny or the hogfish I would probably go with a sixline wrasse. They can be aggressive little butt heads at times so should be able to handle the hawkfish.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Lots of good advice so far.

#1. Be patient.
#2. Do research.
#3-10. Be patient. :D

Usually the only things that happen quickly with aquariums are bad.

My best advice would be to figure out what you want out of your system. Do you want a showpiece that requires minimal maintenance? Do you want really cool fishes but don't care about coral? Do you want really cool corals but not so much on the fishes?

Or are you like 99% of us and just want to cram as much cool and colorful stuff in one box as possible? ;)

Don't worry, we have all been there. Its the reason most aquarium keepers have more than 1 system.

If you know what your goals are its much easier to help with advice on the right stocking , regime, dosing, lighting, etc. etc.

The more you can tell us the more we can help :cheers:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
One thing that worked well for me was making a decent sized rubble pile as a hive concept for breeding pods. I stocked my 26 bowfront with pods and let them proliferate for a while before a put in a mandarin. This way pods could breed within the pile as the goby could only hunt around the perimeter and never annihilate the pod population. Since the population of pods were constantly being thinned, there were more available food sources for the breeding pods; therefore, I would THINK this would speed viable reproduction rate due to the theory of carrying capacity. This may not be the case, but it seemed to work as he remained obese and happy until he decided to go sky diving after 4 years.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts