Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know pink sponge's are doing good by adding natural filtration but it's starting to spread like a weed and it just grew onto another huge rock. It also is taking over some zoas that are behind the anemone.. Any ways to get rid of this stuff or stunt it's growth without physically removing it with razor blades etc.. All advice appreciated

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
that is weird - i have a sponge that looks a lot like that but it recedes from light, which I assume with your nem right there that it is getting plenty of light.
No advice, really, just an interested follower...

·
Registered
176 Posts
This might sound crazy,Use an air stone to hit it with air,Air will kill a sponge,It will kill it quickly,We use to take pieces of sponge and blend them in a blender,and pour them in tanks with dead rock along with coraline algae,T ake of your mechanical filter when you do it,You would be surprised how fast things take over,Depending on the species of sponge angelfish,can eat them,but it being so close to an anemone,your clown fish would hirras it

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This might sound crazy,Use an air stone to hit it with air,Air will kill a sponge,It will kill it quickly,We use to take pieces of sponge and blend them in a blender,and pour them in tanks with dead rock along with coraline algae,T ake of your mechanical filter when you do it,You would be surprised how fast things take over,Depending on the species of sponge angelfish,can eat them,but it being so close to an anemone,your clown fish would hirras it
Like so..?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Air can and will kill a sponge,It gets internally trapped in the sponge....Inhalint,and exhalint siphons,will get air trapped in them,basically suffocates them.....

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Air can and will kill a sponge,It gets internally trapped in the sponge....Inhalint,and exhalint siphons,will get air trapped in them,basically suffocates them.....
How quick is this suppose to be.. It seems to be only pissing off my anemone and fish. What do you think about putting it in my 20 long and just blast it with bubbles till it's gone? If it in fact works..

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you took it out of the tank to put it in your 20 gallon the exposer to air,depending how long it is exposed would kill the exposed part of it,If you were going to do that,wire brush off as much as you wanted then give it a rinse,and put it back in your tank,What I was saying is to slowly destroy it,over a period of time,,A big sponge killed off quickly in your tank can have bad effects on a tank,it can take days to show damage on a sponge,the healthy inside would have to grow through,or around dead material,which gives you time to contain it so to speak...A little air here and their goes a long way,you don`t have to nuke it,......

·
Registered
176 Posts
IrieVibez,You can have it in either,small pieces put in different areas to find out what condition it likes the most.It,s an encrusting sponge so it comes from an area of higher current,Non photosynthetic so it does not need strong light,filter feeds on bacteria and micro algae......If it is blended up It will end up being in the main tank and sump.....Sorry to high jack the thread....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts