Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 40 breeder and I hate how my frag rack is bulky and takes up space. I'm most likely going to let gravity do its thing, and just go from display tank to my 20g frag tank then overflow down to the sump. What GPH internal overflow would I need to put in my 20g FT? I don't know what kind of overflow my 40 breeder has on it my guess would be around 700 gph. Do I need to match that and just get another one similar size? My return pump is a mag 7..

Option #1
40b DT overflow into 20g FT then overflows into sump which is returned back to DT
Option #2
Add a small return pump in the sump running to 20g FT then overflow back to sump

Probably going with option #1 unless any other advice seems more efficient.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Option 2 or: plumb a drain from each tank into the sump and split the return line. That is how I had a 20 long plumbed into my old 40 breeder.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Option 2 or: plumb a drain from each tank into the sump and split the return line. That is how I had a 20 long plumbed into my old 40 breeder.
Wouldn't that make the pump less efficient and the sump could possibly over flow because the return pump can't keep up? or should it not reduce the GPH of the return pump that drastically?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would have two seperate pumps,Let your mag do the return duties for your main tank,and you could use a small pump to do your frag tank,Have both drain lines run through a filter sock,to catch debree,and particulate matter that would normally become nutrients that would feed algae growth,,If you have one drain in the other tank you have a possible mess from salt spray,and debree from one tank would have to be cleaned out off the next,would it not......Just a thought.......And as you pointed out if you used one pump for double duty,the main tank would suffer...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
My vote is for option one. For peace of mind I'd ensure the frag tank overflow/drain is larger that the one in your display.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My vote is for option one. For peace of mind I'd ensure the frag tank overflow/drain is larger that the one in your display.
Doesn't seem like a bad idea to go with a slightly larger overflow I suppose. Option #1 seems like the quickest and easiest way. I wouldn't have to change much with the plumbing and I wouldn't need to worry about return pump issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts