Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

Preparaton for the hurricane

4K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  BTB0923 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just thought I'd throw a thread out there in preparation for the hurricane to spread awareness and gather any tips for making sure our reef tanks are safe for possible prolonged power outages.

Any tips/suggestions? Personally I'm thinking about investing in a generator to keep things going on my 180 but are there any other less expensive things that could be done to keep our tanks healthy in the event of an extended power outage?

#3 ·
Years ago we bought a generator because the area we lived in at that time seemed to lose power often. But for short term outages (and I hope this will be all we have but realistically...) I have 3 or 4 "bubblers. Battery operated air stones machines of pretty serious strength. Two in my 80 gallon provide enough water flow short term.

#7 ·
Battery powered air stone is great / cheap for temporary power outages, gives enough surface agitation to keep the tank oxygenated. Definitely recommend having one of those for everyone.

Next pressing issue is probably temperature, if you have gas heat (and water) it should still work and you can fill jugs with hot water and float them in the tank to try to keep the temperature up.

Lighting and filtration are probably ok unless it is over 2-3 days. Probably need a generator ready to go if it is gonna be over that. You can have a water change ready to go, but temp and oxygen for that water could also be an issue.

#8 · (Edited)
I'm getting a 2200 watt generator... think that should be enough? My main concern is the lack of ac over extended time. I'm hoping a couple fans should keep the tank cool, maybe a bag of ice? When I lose ac this time of year (which has happened before when I didn't have a tank) the house heats up like an oven.

#12 ·
I ordered the Briggs and Stratton Powersmart Series 2200 watt Inverter. I ordered it really early this morning though and it looks like they changed the transit time to deliver on Thursday now. I am a Prime member so not sure if that affects the delivery date.

#17 ·
I ordered one of these yesterday, should be here tomorrow. I have a vortech on a UPS battery backup which lasts several hours. In the event of something longer, this should be able to run the return pump, an air pump, fans and maybe my fridge as well.

My sump is in the garage so this works well for me (logistically). Between the cars and the lawn equipment I don’t need another combustion engine to take care of, the car is fueled and maintained so might as well take advantage of that.

Quesvow 1000W Car Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V 3 AC Outlets Home Car RV Solar Power Converter for Household Appliances in case Emergency, Hurricane, Storm and Outage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NZB4LT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_S87LBbARA9J7B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.