Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

Products to avoid

14K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  GulperEel331 
#1 ·
Due to a request, I have decided to start a list of products that really suck. I'd be happy to help some, but if I tryed to list everything out of my Foster's & Smith Catalog that was complete junk, I'd be here all day. I'll try to hit the main ones though that pertain to marine aquaria. Feel free to chime in with your experiences as well.

- Any phosphate removing substance that is not GFH based. Aluminum based media like Phosguard works but has been shown to cause adverse effects on some corals

- CPR Overflows - notorious for loosing siphon and causing floods. Must be used with Aqualifter pumps that can easily clog and still cause a flood.

- bio-balls and other bio-media are not necessary in tanks with live rock and/or sand beds

- Kent Pro Scrapers - these really don't work that great and are far inferior to the Easy-blade attachment for the Mag-floats.

- Reef-safe Ich treatments - none of these have been proven to consistently work. The best proven treatments for Cryptocaryon are Hyposalinity and Copper treatment

- most phosphate test kits - The only ones that are reasonably priced that I am aware of that will measure down to the levels that are capable of causing algae problems are the Salifert and the Tropic Marin kits. The best kit is the kit by Merck, sold by Rowa, however that kit costs around $80.

- Aragamilk - This stuff does nothing beneficial and may even reduce you calcium or alkalinity. See prior discussions on calcium/alkalinity for more info.

- RO buffers - These are not necessary - if anything, just add a little pickling lime to your RO water, but not if you are using it to mix up new seawater.

-swing arm hydrometers - these are notoriously inaccurate and have caused many tank problems. Instead go with a good refractometer calibrated with a 35ppt salt solution.

- Seaclone skimmers - why do they still sell these things? They can be made to work pretty good with a lot of modifications, but why go to the trouble when you caould have a good skimmer

Red Sea Berlin skimmers - also a pain to deal with and for the money you could have a pretty good skimmer

Red Sea Prism Skimmers - I have not personally used these, but have also heard they are a pain to deal with

Visi-Therm Heaters (aka Visi-Fry) - notorious for getting stuck and cooking your fish, not sure if that has changed

Coralife thermometers (anything Coralife as far as I'm concerned) - notoriously inaccurate. I've had a lot of trouble with many of their products from bulbs to salt to timers. I've heard their skimmers were OK, but I won't be buying one.

Purple-up - just like Aragamilk - complete waste

-

See less See more
#2 ·
brandonberry said:
- Kent Pro Scrapers - these really don't work that great and are far inferior to the Easy-blade attachment for the Mag-floats.
Never used the blade attachment for the mag float. However I really like my short Kent scrapers. The long Kent scraper is another story though.

Red Sea Prism Skimmers - I have not personally used these, but have also heard they are a pain to deal with
Mine does a decent/good job. It does take an effort to get it set just right. Too little no foam, too much then water is pulled in. I diffently plan on getting a better in-sump skimmer when I can.

Visi-Therm Heaters (aka Visi-Fry) - notorious for getting stuck and cooking your fish, not sure if that has changed
Wow this is a suprise! I think the Visa-Therm Deluxe heater is very accurate & reliable. I've been using these for years. I had one that worked for 10+ years.

Coralife thermometers (anything Coralife as far as I'm concerned) - notoriously inaccurate. I've had a lot of trouble with many of their products from bulbs to salt to timers. I've heard their skimmers were OK, but I won't be buying one.
I've been using the thermomters now for a while. I've check them against the glass thermometers & found them to be within 2 degress which is good enough for me.

I also use Coralife fixtures & bulbs and never had a problem with them. These are great fixtures at a reasonable price.

#3 ·
Any phosphate removing substance that is not GFH based. Aluminum based media like Phosguard works but has been shown to cause adverse effects on some corals
GFO media has also been shown to cause bleaching in SPS corals in many instances, which is caused by the media causing a sudden decrease in alkalinity. never had a problem with phosguard, but it saturates very quickly. I do like ROWAphos or phosban better (or the bulk GFO media from bulkreefsupply) but simply because it takes longer to saturate and can stay in the reactor for longer periods

#5 ·
Yea!! Purple up and aragamilk is a joke.

I like the coralife super skimmer, but their ballasts for their lights, eeesh......

Really brandon? You don't like the prizm skimmers? Puffyluv has had hers for like (correct me if im wrong grace.) 5 years or something crazy! I think the pump just broke like 4 or 5 mths ago, but has lasted ever since.

Ooooh....wait now.....theres a blade attachment for magfloats?? I want one :D

OOOO I have something to add to the list!! The API nitrate test kit usually tests for 0 nitrates, Ive lost count of the people I had cry on my shoulder due to a tank crash because of that test. I hear some of the api nitrate tests do test for nitrates, but I dunno. I haven't personally seen one that works! My fave is the tetra test :D

#6 ·
^ the API nitrate kit is actually accurate when properly used. The instructions say to shake the reagent 2 bottle for 30 seconds before adding 10 drops, then to shake the tube for 1 minute and then let it develop for 5. when you follow the instructions correctly it works fine. most people however don't do this, and then it will read 0 or close to it.

#7 ·
^Hmm I guess thats your opinion.....but both grace and I have used that nitrate test and followed the directions exzactly and got the same 0 result. I perfer the tetra because it is a 4 part test instead of the 2 part test and usually more work means better results right?? :). Plus tetra test has been tested against a nitrate probe according to grace, and the tetra was off by 5, but it was 5 pts higher then the probe was. I would much rather think my nitrates are a bit higher then a bit lower. :)

But I agree with ya buddy. I doubt everyone follows the directions like they should :).

#9 ·
I've not tested my API nitrate against a meter or lab grade reagents but it showed nitrate when my tank was new. It has since fallen to zero but with the rock, sand and macro that I have I don't find that surprising. I believe that it may be the one that states it should be read under cool white light and we all tend to read them by tank light.

#10 ·
Hey NCSalt, pm me where you're gonna be close to me next. If you want, I will prove it to you! I even have some high nitrate water that I think will be enough......(please no one examine that one too closely, lol) I used to offer a free test kit if someone could bring me an API nitrate that works. I have had Tetra tested against a probe.

I have HEARD of API nitrate tests working, just never SEEN it. Well, if you consider a reading of five when they were actually fifty working, lol.

I would LOVE someone to prove me wrong JUST ONCE on this product, so maybe I could just finally be able to shut up about it. But I can't, because just as Emmy said, the amount of lamenting and crying about why didn't I know........Not that it would matter to me, anyway, I'd never buy it, after all, it is the most expensive nitrate test for some odd reason.......

](*,) I hear tales of this claim, someone SHOW me!!!!

#11 ·
Ok...Puffy...here's some proof...sort of.

The color of the API test sample is a tad darker in the pics than in person. Both the API test and the Tetra test measured ~25 ppm. I followed the instructions for each test...step by step. Ok...what do I win??? \:D/ Or do you need to see it in person...lol.

#12 ·
OMG........Never have a seen that before. Is that a new API test? It would be great if they have fixed it......How long ago did you purchase it?

No that is PLENTY proof, I just can hardly believe my eyes! Have you tried any higher levels..........It is hard to have access to it, I know......

I am astounded, this is the first test kit out of about 10 I have tested that was right. Guess the moral is they probably have fixed the problem - if you don't have a box from the old batch. I THINK I still do - I used to prove it to people all the time - see, this one zero, this one two hundred. (Yes, some people actually have stuff living in 200 nitrates - how I'll never know)

Well that is..............crazy. I can hardly believe it........After two years of testing zero they are finally reading again. Wow.

You win my upmost gratitude and respect - and free red cap, lol!!!

Although, I gotta say, after ALL those bad boxes - I'd never trust one that read zero without double checking it against something else.........Of course Em and I are the ones who have seen it a thousand times - so we will naturally be wary!

Oh BTW I have never seen any innacuracy in ANY other API test, JUST the nitrate................and now it SEEMS as if it is fixed!

ALTHOUGH.....could be as the test kit gets a little old it gets innacurate fast - sometimes it was a box they JUST bought that had a bad nitrate test, sometimes a box they had for a year. But who know how long it sat around before it got to them? Hmmmm.

On the whole, Puffyluv is very pleased. I will never forget the problems that test kit has caused, but with a comparison done if it is TOO low I am willing to trust it again.............

#13 ·
I have had this kit for ~8 months. I switched to Red Sea because it was a little easier to read...that is why I still have the last few drops of the API kit.

Red Cap!!! [-X Where is my test kit....Seachem please. :D JK

I am switching over to Seachem because all the others are hard to read (to me at least). The Seachem PH kit is so easy to read. I wonder how long my PH has been 8.0? 8-[

Ask and you shall receive. Here is a pic of a neglected freshwater tank measuring 40ppm. Those poor Platies. Anyone want to adopt some?

#14 ·
Since my last post, I have done some testing. I realized I had purchased a new API Nitrate kit before I got my Red Sea kit. This API kit had never been used until now. I ended up running 3 tests on the salt tank I checked last night and 2 tests on the same freshwater tank.

I first did a test on the salt tank. Shook my bottles and everything...but the test read a 0. At this point I was thinking that some of the API kits are inaccurate.
Next I checked my 40ppm freshwater tank. It then picked up a trace of nitrate. Hmmmm :-k
I did another test on the salt tank....now it read 10ppm. Then it hit me. Bottle #2 of the API kit contains a solution that is thick and gel like. The instructions specifically say that for the kit to read correctly, you must shake bottle 2 60 seconds. I did this with each test I did...BUT...since the bottle was new and very full....the gel reagent didn't mix well. That is why I got a more accurate reading with every test I did....the color indicating ingredient was getting better and better mixed.
Once I realized this, I vigorously shook reagent #2 for my final test on each tank....and there you go....the results matched what I did with my nearly empty kit from last night.

Conclusion: Though it is VERY possible that API put out some bad kits....the true (widespread) problem is more likely user related.

(edit) I actually re-read the API instructions....it says SHAKE BOTTLE # 2 VIGOROUSLY FOR 30 SECONDS. THIS STEP IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO INSURE ACCURACY OF TEST RESULTS. When the kit is new and the bottles are full...I am not so sure 30 seconds is enough....but the 'shake vigorously' part is sure right!

#16 ·
Great, problem solved. OK, anyone have any other problematic equipment, chemicals, or just plain crappy aquarium related products that they want to tell us about?

#17 ·
any cheap carbon for fish tanks i avoid like the plague; can't remember any brands that were horrific in terms of carbon dust, but most of them sucked pretty bad, IME. i do use the carbon filter pads that are for eclipse tanks in my HOB aquaclear on the nano tank, but that's more for convenience than anything else and to trap debris in the filterpad itself.

on my larger tank, when i do run carbon i use only the lignite carbon from bulkreefsupply.com

#19 ·
I have to agree with you on that one Mcfly. I got one for my aquapod, figured for $30, how bad a deal can it be. I'd have been better off using the money for tp.

Like to throw the Eco-aqualizer into the pile. Fortunately, I wasn't sucked into this scam. I think you'd be better off buying some Dollar Tree magnets, throwing them in the tank and hiring a voodoo doctor to dance around the tank

Brandon, can you "sticky" this thread. A lot of people, myself included, are getting fooled by clever advertising and dis-honest dealers.

#20 ·
Fission Nano Skimmer Multiple Uses

I snagged the below from another post some where. Here are a few uses for the fission Nano skimmer they advertise!

- You can plumb them into the fuel line of your car. The chamber realigns the molecular structure of the gas to increase it's carbonic reactivity quotient and gives you up to 300 miles per gallon.

- Attach it to the main water line in your house. It disintegrates impurities in the water and causes a cosmic interactuationalization between the hydrogen and oxygen molecules in the water, distilling it.

- Attach a fan to one end. It's negative ionization properties will cause dirt molecules in the air that passes thorugh it to be come little air scrubbers that will spread throughout your home, cleaning the air.

- Keep one next to the bed. If your house catches fire, put one end through your mouth and breathe through it while you escape. The anticoagulation disrequifaction of the smoke molecules neutralizes them and turns them into a pleasant chocolate flavor, so you don't die from smoke inhalation.

- Attach it to your cell phone antenna. It's magnetic flux capacitance supercharges the electron stream from your cell phone antenna to as much as 1.21 gigawatts, allowing it to work inside buildings, elevators, etc.

- place a funnel in one end, and the other end into a glass. At your next party, buy the cheapest beer you can find, such as Natural Light. Pour it through the device into the glass. The yeast in the beer activates the enzymatic-impurit-seeking-microbes which not only cold filter the beer but turn it into a high-priced import, making it not only taste great but also less filling.

- Throw one into your next load of laundry. The device uses it's magnetic amplification ionization electroseparation properties to extract oxygen from the water, which causes tiny oxygen molecules to oxy-cleanse your clothes.

- Using the same funnel and glass arrangement, pour skimmate through it from your protein skimmer. The turbo anticoagulating separation sequencing ionized distillotron will convert the skimmate into high-priced vodka.

- I think you can also use it to shoot spitballs.

the Fussion Nano skimmer.

Mc

#21 ·
OK, I'll sticky it.

Another snake oil to add to the list, and I know I'll catch some grief for this one, is Chemipure. This stuff claims to do everything, is really expensive, and to my knowledge is really no better than carbon.

#22 ·
Chempure

I think I used Chempure to remove red slime a few years ago and it worked on a 29 reef. I tried everything else, PHs, water changes, no feeding, less light ect.... and finally had to use it. Did the trick?

mc

#23 ·
Re: Chempure

Mcfly said:
I think I used Chempure to remove red slime a few years ago and it worked on a 29 reef. I tried everything else, PHs, water changes, no feeding, less light ect.... and finally had to use it. Did the trick?

mc

You are thinking of Chemi-clean. That's something different. Chemi-pure is basically just carbon.

#25 ·
You may be right Brandon however I do like it. I run carbon all the time and do not have to change this out as often this is my main reason. I change it out about every three months and have been using this for several years. HOWEVER with that said even though I like it I do REGULAR water changes. not very concrete is it 8-[ Just thought I would add my 2 cents as even though it is a little more $ ( depending on what brand carbon you buy and where you buy it) when you do not have to change it out as often it adds up to about the same when you use as much as I do.

#41 ·
^ Is that why they were in the free box last week at the demo?

and all of that stuff about the nano skimmer, reminds me of the eco aqualizer.:bs:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.