Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an issue with my protein skimmer...it's skimming too fast...it's almost like water in the skimmer!! I have it as low as I can possibly get it.

Can anybody give me some advice????? I need some help!!!!

I have 100 gal tank
Mixed reef/fish peaceful fish
Protein skimmer only/no sump...

Heather

:blowup:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Have you used any epoxies to fix corals to the rock or any additives in your tank recently? There are some things that can make a skimmer go crazy no matter how much you dial it back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got some corals that had epoxy on them, but it was already dried. I tried to break it off, but couldn't get it off....but still, even before that, it was skimming too fast and was not as yucky as it should be..

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Soap or deodorant will make them go crazy. Chemiclean or some chemicals will do it. New skimmers have a break in period where the oils and stuff from the machines that make them have to wear off. An in sump skimmer sitting in too much or too little water may cause that also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I added more water to the tank...it was a little low, seemed to slow down the skimmer. I have it on the lowest setting I can figure out...

I don't know how to cut back on the air....the is not a gauge on the air hose, just an air hose...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If you stick your finger over the air line does the skim change? If not the line is clogged and you need to clean/blow it out

·
Registered
176 Posts
All I was saying is if you cut back the air,The skimmer can`t produce foam,or if you dial it in so to speak you can get the foam you want,Skimmers are adjusted two ways,most think that there is just the water level.....That is why the skimmer blows it`s tops so to speak....On a skimmer if you have a stable water level,adjust the air,It would then be impossible to flood,Ever skimmer has it`s sweet spot so to speak,We all run different salinitys,ph`s,alkalinities are different,Yet we all just put a skimmer on a tank,turn it on and adjust the height of the water column,and wonder why it is not working properly...If you look on line you can buy,or build a valve to adjust air flow.....Once you see one properly setup and dialed in,when there is a problem you can tell.....Good luck

·
Registered
886 Posts
^ watch your water levels when adjusting the air intake. When you do that the pump will actually pump more water since there is less air mixed in. With some hang on the back skimmers this will actually end up being more water than the return can handle and they will overflow.

·
Registered
797 Posts
i have this same one on 2 of my cubes and they work great. The water level adjustment is super sensitive though. Moving it just a 1/16th of an inch too far will cause it to pull nothing but water into the cup.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
i have this same one on 2 of my cubes and they work great. The water level adjustment is super sensitive though. Moving it just a 1/16th of an inch too far will cause it to pull nothing but water into the cup.
+1. I used this skimmer for over a year and it is super sensitive, and it can be tedious to "dial in". It's an awesome skimmer and once you get it set it will do an awesome job. The other advice has been spot on as well. Good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts