Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quarantine tank need not be an expensive addition to your fishkeeping hobby, and could avert a potential disaster. A simple setup is described below.

A small (say 18x12x12") tank should be suitable for all but very large fish. No substrate is necessary as this will make the tank easier to keep clean as well as cutting the cost. Use some sort of backing on the tank to make fish feel more secure, this could be extended along one of the short sides of the tank. A 50-100W heater should be sufficient. Use a small inexpensive sponge filter (this could be left running in the main tank when not in use to keep the filter 'mature', and returned to the main tank with the fish once it has been established that they are healthy).

Keep decor to a minimum to aid cleaning (e.g. rocks, plant pot 'caves' or plastic plants), but provide a refuge for fish to feel secure. Without live plants it is not necessary to light the tank, this will also reduce the cost and the fish may feel more secure in subdued daylight than they would under bright lighting.

Information source
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I like to run a UV sterilizer on my quarantine tank as well. This way, if the fish does have a disease such as Ich, it is more likely that the disease will be eliminated before multiplying and fatally infecting the fish.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
MMnnn, yes, VERY good method, as long as you use enough wattage of UV per gallon to actually kill disease and not just algae, and run it through real slow. I use this method on all store systems to great success, with no copper involved. Brandonberry is right, best to assume they may be carrying and use a UV, also I like to feed garlic just as a precaution, doesn't mess up their immune system like meds........

Also, I use water from the display tank to set up the quarantine, and keep the tank stored away when I don't need it. This way you are using the water they will be going to, exposing them to everything in it, yet keeping them away from the main population. :D

Everyone loves a new fishie, so make sure you help yours be successful! A new fish may look just fine, but not be! Ich is microscpic, you can't see it until it has formed a protective shell!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts