Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my RG started flashing a bit yesterday. He started out very anti social but has really come around lately and hangs out quite a bit, eats well etc. I've added a few coral frags within the past few days but that's the only changes to the tank recently, levels normal etc. I see no visible white spots and he appears to be eating well.

This prompted some thoughts. I'm considering setting up a QT / Hospital.

I'm fairly new so I'm just looking to see if someone can help with a train of thought.

Would it be acceptable to set up something like, maybe a 40g cycled with a bit of sand / lr and eventually a small clean-up crew for quarantine of new inhabitants before going to the main display? Meanwhile, having another small tank that could serve as a hospital / medication tank in the event I need treatment. The thought process is simply not having to toss together a QT tank at each random purchase and taking it down in between. The thought on the second tank is for treatment as any treatment would, for lack of a better work taint and / or kill inverts etc in the QT tank.

Does this seem feasible or would I be missing something, running any risks etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I do something similar. I keep a 37g running all the time with rock and sand. New fish go into this tank for 6 weeks of observation as well as 2 weeks of prazipro (dewormer). At this time I am only treating for ich if I observe it. I have a couple other spare empty tanks (2x 10g and 2x 20g) that I can use for copper treatment or tank transfer method to treat for ich if necessary. I know I already have ich in my system that is managed with good husbandry so I don't find it necessary to preventatively treat every fish for ich, but I'm considering it when I upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I personally would have all the equipment available and be able to set the QT/Hospital tank up quickly if needed. Have enough RODI Salt water on hand to fill the tank. Or if it's a fish from your main system you could transfer water out of the main tank and basically do a water change on it with the new water you have ready. You would basically need a tank, powerhead, heater, PVC pieces, an HOB filter, and a test kit. An airstone wouldn't be bad to have around either.

My concern would be the QT system becoming infected and possibly transmitting infection to the new arrivals or back to the fish you just treated in the Hospital tank. If you have the QT system running and place a sick fish in the tank, whatever that fish is sick with is probably in that tank now. Then you transfer him over to the Hospital tank and treat him, then back to the QT when he's better the QT tank could still be infected with whatever that fish had to begin with.

Thats my really quick thoughts on it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I may stop in and pick up a small tank or two while they have the sale going at petco since I have some rewards points that expire in a couple of weeks and I really see nothing there I'd use them on, let alone ever buy livestock from there after reading so many horror stories online.

What are your thoughts on cleaner shrimp? I know they can't remove subcutaneous parasitic infestations but do they provide any benefits to tankmates or are they just ornamental in captivity? From reading online I hear both but I'm curious if anyone has any experience that would lend credance to one side or the other.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I love my cleaner shrimp and I believe he is more than ornamental. They are scavengers and will eat left over food, so thats beneficial. I have a Clownfish and a Firefish who will both let him hop on and "clean" them. I assume he is picking off any dead or dying flesh and would probably help with external parasites, although I'm not 100% sure on that one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah thanks. I had considered getting one this afternoon as the only inverts I have at the moment are a few hermits, snails, and an emerald crab. Any thoughts on keeping a sponge in the sump as an establishment of denitrifying bacteria for a quick transfer to a emergency hospital tank to establish a quick-cycle tank to keep nh3 down?

Thanks again, I know it's quite a bit of questions.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Cleaner shrimp won't do anything to help with parasite loads on sick fish.

Re-infection is a concern, but if you havent preventatively treated every fish in your DT, and quarantined every invert in your tank fishless, you've got some level of ich in the tank anyway, and guaranteed its in the LFS water as well. So I wouldn't worry about the QT being the only source of introducing a fish to ich. If you were worried about it, let the QT go fallow 8 weeks between purchases and you should be good.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I picked up a 40 breeder and a 20g to make a sump at some point for a QT for new arrivals. Just have to figure out how to drill / overflow the 40g. I'm pretty stocked in my DT so it's not as if i'd be using it much save for any losses in the DT or potentially to QT some new frags. I'd probably just stock it with LF and some inverts and maybe some cheap softies, so with that being said, it'd probably be fallow the majority of the time when it comes to fish. It's definitely not going to be a huge investment or something I would dump money into like a DT.

I also picked up a 20g for a hospital that I'll probably just set up on a need to medicate basis. Figured why not with that sale at petco for the dollar/gallon deal. Never hurts to have the extra space in an emergency.

Next thing is to figure out how to drill that 40g and install bulkheads etc and add some partitions to the 20g for a sump.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts