Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past week my Candy Cane coral has slowly began receding from the base up and are not extending feeder tentacles at night. I did also notice that they are excreting a clear slime. I have done nothing different or moved them lately. The only issue I have noticed is that my clown fish has decided to try and host them. I am at a loss as to what is wrong and really don't want to loose them! My param's are all what I believe to be normal:

Nitrates: 20 (time for my water change)

Nitrites: 0

Ammonia: 0

Phosphate: 0

sg: 1.024

Ph: 8.0

Could the clown be the issue? Any thoughts on what might be happening? All other LPS doing great (Torch, Hammer, Brains, Duncan)....In the picture you can see the white skeleton in the middle.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah I believe candy canes do best under 10 ppm. My clown hosts mine as well and if anything that made them look happier, but if that is a new occurrence they might not be used to it yet. Do a water change and see where you are at after that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ya'll,

Yes it has been recently that my clown has thought the candy canes were 'squishy' lol . Did a water change yesterday and they are perked up today and inflated . I am just worried that since it has receded close to the heads that they are going to continue to loose tissue...I decided to flip them over so as to make it harder for my clown to mess with it in between the stalks. I really hope this helps...

I am not able to test my calcium but I do 20% water changes weekly and I use reef crystals salt as well. I did have my water tested today at the LFS as well and they stated that my alkalinity level was 150? I am not to sure about alk levels since I have never tested for them. What is an acceptable range?

·
Registered
626 Posts
If that reading is parts per million, you're in pretty good shape. Did the LFS do it with a Hanna checker? To convert the hanna reading to dkh, divide by 50 which gives you 3 then multiply by 2.8. That gives you 8.4 which is on the low end of the recommended 8-12. I usually like to keep my alk around 9. For what it's worth....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts