Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
880 Posts
How much flow I guess is less import than good flow everywhere. Like wright said, the red slime stuff only grows in dead or low flow areas. I had 3 koralias in my 120 tank when i had the same problem. I now have 1 wp40 instead, and it covers flow across the whole tank way better than 3 1200 koralias did. You may need a wavemaker type pump instead. Like a wp or an mp. I have never had an mp 40, but for $80 instead of $500, i think my wp 40 does a great job.

· Registered
1,084 Posts
We tried chemiclean powdered version and it worked fantastically. Make sure you turn off your UV and skimmer before adding, but everything will be gone in 4 days. We used it with sps lps softies leathers etc and had no ill effects.

· Registered
2,252 Posts
That red stuff is cyanobacteria. Its mostly due to high nutrients, not low flow per se. It does occur in low flow areas i agree, but just means you need to lessen nutrients. I do agree with Garbonzo though. Chemi clean works good to kill it, and then you can change your high nutrient problem while looking at a beautiful tank; it can take over and smother things like zoes if you're not careful.

· Registered
393 Posts
chemiclean

Plus 2 on the Chemiclean. I have struggled with high nutrients because I am a little heavy on my bio load. I have a ton of coral, nothing was harmed, just make sure if you use it , add an air stone for the period they state. It really does work. I just wish it worked for hair algae haha. I cant seem to get rid of that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.