Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!
What do I do to get rid of the red algae that will overtake my tank!!! Can I put something in it to kill it????

·
Registered
879 Posts
I Had The Same Issues. When You Do A Water Change, Siphon It Out. For Me, This Was Best Done With The Hose Only. Not With The Attachment. And I Increased flow In The Tank. Never Came Back.

·
Registered
879 Posts
For me, it would start out growing in the low flow areas, then spread. If you try to scoop it out or brush it, it comes back worse the next day. The flow increase took care of it for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you increase the flow? I have 2 power heads one on each side of the tank. They are Koralia pump evolut. 750. 115V-60 Hz. Right now they are pointed toward my corals.

·
Registered
879 Posts
How much flow I guess is less import than good flow everywhere. Like wright said, the red slime stuff only grows in dead or low flow areas. I had 3 koralias in my 120 tank when i had the same problem. I now have 1 wp40 instead, and it covers flow across the whole tank way better than 3 1200 koralias did. You may need a wavemaker type pump instead. Like a wp or an mp. I have never had an mp 40, but for $80 instead of $500, i think my wp 40 does a great job.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
We tried chemiclean powdered version and it worked fantastically. Make sure you turn off your UV and skimmer before adding, but everything will be gone in 4 days. We used it with sps lps softies leathers etc and had no ill effects.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been looking at the Jeabo wp wave makers...I just bought one to help increase the flow...hope that will help. I also am terrible about doing water changes, so that is changing...

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
That red stuff is cyanobacteria. Its mostly due to high nutrients, not low flow per se. It does occur in low flow areas i agree, but just means you need to lessen nutrients. I do agree with Garbonzo though. Chemi clean works good to kill it, and then you can change your high nutrient problem while looking at a beautiful tank; it can take over and smother things like zoes if you're not careful.

·
Registered
392 Posts
chemiclean

Plus 2 on the Chemiclean. I have struggled with high nutrients because I am a little heavy on my bio load. I have a ton of coral, nothing was harmed, just make sure if you use it , add an air stone for the period they state. It really does work. I just wish it worked for hair algae haha. I cant seem to get rid of that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts