Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new tank today, 72x24x24, glad I went with this size, and not something taller. Anyway, what do you guys suggest for return pump, I would like to have a lot of flow, along with something that really silent, would like internal to the sump.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Would get Eheim 1262 or a Waveline DC pump.

I have an Eheim 1262 and I am thinking about switching to the Waveline this week.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
most silent would be a pair of eheim 1260s or 1262s. cheaper, but not as quiet would be a mag 12.
Thanks for the info. So why would I need a pair of them?

Have you setup any systems with dual overflows, using herbie type drain, or have any suggestions, how to make the overflows not as loud?

Thanks

·
Registered
886 Posts
with head pressure a single 1262 will not do enough for a 180. you're going to want something to do about 1200gph split between the two returns.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Eheim 1262 (900 gph) - $165.00

Waveline models:

DC-12000 (3170 gph) - $279.99
DC-10000 (2853 gph) - $239.99

One of the Wavelines will cost you less than 2 Eheim pumps, save you an electrical outlet, space in your sump and be more than enough flow even splitting it off to two overflows and you can control the flow rate since it is DC powered.

The Eheim pump is proven performance. The DC pumps are the new kids on the block and have been typically selling out at most online retailers fairly quickly. All of your big online stores recently got their shipments in over the past couple of weeks.

They make a DC-8000 which may work just as well and costs even less.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eheim 1262 (900 gph) - $165.00

Waveline models:

DC-12000 (3170 gph) - $279.99
DC-10000 (2853 gph) - $239.99

One of the Wavelines will cost you less than 2 Eheim pumps, save you an electrical outlet, space in your sump and be more than enough flow even splitting it off to two overflows and you can control the flow rate since it is DC powered.

The Eheim pump is proven performance. The DC pumps are the new kids on the block and have been typically selling out at most online retailers fairly quickly. All of your big online stores recently got their shipments in over the past couple of weeks.

They make a DC-8000 which may work just as well and costs even less.
I really like what I am reading about those pumps. I really only want to have one pump, and that will be silent. I guess what I need to figure out is how I am going to do my returns and decide on what size. That entire story about how to make my drains so they are not so loud :party:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So do you guys think with 180gallon tank and 75 gallon sump, which size I should go with?
I was thinking one of the following

DC-12000 (3170 gph)
DC-10000 (2853 gph)

·
Registered
151 Posts
As far as the noise on the drain make your drain line bigger than you and install a valve to dial it back and then your overflow will be silent

1 - 10 of 10 Posts