Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of the grey Brute 44 Gal. cans to hold ro/di water for water changes. I put about 30 gal. in there about a week and half ago. It has had a lid on it and I put a bag of carbon and a powerhead in there a few days ago just to be safe. I was going to add salt tomorrow for a water change on Sat. Tested my TDS and it reads 11. Should I worry about this? The water coming out of the Kent Hi-S Unit is 0. So something in the can must have raised it? I really would hate to waste it, but don't want to put bad water in the tank either.:not sure:

·
Registered
771 Posts
even with the lid on the brute it will pic up stuff out of the air. i have mine setting on my back porch when it comes out it reads 0 but after it sets in the brute outside the pollen and all that collects in the can it reads 26!!! thats if u collect it on the surface if you dip 6" under the surface its more like 6ish

guess what im trying to say i think it is about impossible to actually get 0 TDS unless your dumping it right into the tank

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
My RO trash can in my closet reads around 20 I think even with zero coming out of the line. I chalked it off to the fact that I use the same pump in my RO water and my salt water when I pump it out into 5 gallon buckets. I just use all my water every other month and wash them out in the front yard.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think you are worried about a trivial amount of TDS. If you are running an RO/DI system and storing the water in a BRUTE trash can bet you are way ahead of the norm, since a lot of people still run straight well or worse yet, tap water. You are doing everything right by covering it and keeping it oxygenated with a powerhead. I don't know anyone that puts carbon in their RO storage container, but that doesn't mean its "bad."

I would wonder how your water could test zero after the RO filter, but then a week later test 11. I have seen Ph change as water sits but never really thought to test TDS. That being said....11 TDS isn't that bad considering people have used water with 300 TDS in tanks and got away with it....although I would NEVER.

Larry

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't think about the carbon raising TDS. Even if it was new carbon? I put the carbon in there because the Trash Can was new. Guess I'm just being over cautious on the first run. I have never stored large amounts of water before.
How long can you store ro/di water like that?
How long for mixed saltwater?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw a episode of Fish Tank Kings where they went to ORA. They had White Brute containers everywhere. I've never seen a white one.
Anyone know the difference or are they the same? Just a different color?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Good question.Made me think back to my restaurant days.Foodstuffs such as flour sugar etc were always stored in white trash cans.I googled it and found out the grey white and yellow are NSF USDA and HAACP certified. Which basically tells you they are safe for storing things for human consumption.Found it here http://m.webstaurantstore.com/rubbe...rash-container/690FG2655WH.html?description=1

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Zero TDS water is not a natural substance. Water wants to dissolve solids from the air and anything it touches. Your water is fine!

Humanity is constantly trying to purify substances for easy use but nature wants things to be mixed at specific ratios.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts