Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a serpent starfish about a month ago and it seemed to of been doing alright, i fed it and its been eating but i looked at its arms and where there used to be points there are now jsut stubs on the arms. i have read a bit about starfish death and that they tend to deteriorate but from what i read starfish usually lose one arm completely first and then the rest go. mine still has his color but each arm is just got the ends missing a little. should i be worried? hes in a 10 gallon nano with a clownfish, yellow tailed damsel, a few red leg hermits, an anemone and a chocolate chip, i'm also aware that i have bristle worms crawling around my tank

·
Registered
696 Posts
I had some Black Brittle stars and legs started coming off found the problem to be my hermits. So after that I picked up some green serpent stars and nothing bothers them. Some of the most hardy stars I've had. Plus if anything gets close enough to bother them if it will fit in their mouth it ends up being lunch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, so i'm pretty sure its the red legs, or at least a red leg. another piece of the starfish's arm was off and i saw one of the hermit crabs eating it so i took the piece of leg out. a few minutes later i came back looked at the tank and hermit crab had another piece of leg in its mouth that wasnt there before. it just seems bizzar to me, i wouldnt think tiny hermit crabs would attack a starfish and i would of thought the starfish would just move if they did. thanks for all the help!
my parameters are:
Nitrate- a little over 20 ppm
Nitrite- .5 ppm
and amonnia is at 0, suprised for only being a 10 gallon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.