Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

Setting up a QT tank

867 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  rle68 
#1 · (Edited)
Due to a generous guy i got a hold of a ten gal tank im setting up for a qt/ hospital tank

going the hospital route first as one of my lyre tail mollies lost half his tail overnight.

wondering how i should start the tank

few things of note:
i have a rainsoft water system so my water is very soft and metal and chlorine free
leave it bare bottom or gravel?
Temperature should be in the high 70's for freshwater fish ? (guppies and mollies etc )

#2 ·
Bare bottom is always the way to go when you have a qt tank. You will need to cycle it and keep it cycled or do a lot of water changes. One easy way to keep it cycled is keep a fish in it that you can put in your display tank when you are going to use it as a hospital or qt tank. Usually 75 to 80 is what I kept mine at when I did fresh water if I was treating ick I would slowly raise the temperature and bring it back down.

#4 ·
Just an update i cleared the white cotton like substance that was in the dalmation mollies tail :)... i was getting ready to transfer him back home to his regular tank when i woke up this am and found him dead in the tank..

sometimes i wonder why i bother:blowup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.