Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

Sheepshead Minnows

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JoeCreature 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been catching quite a few of these when I am trying to catch mud minnows for bait, I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with them, or if there is a market for them. I would keep them, but they like to keep to themselves and are aggressive with mud minnows and shrimp of any kind. I have small ones and bigger ones, males and females.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Yes of course you need a NC fishing license, but I dont think it's illegal to keep them. To sell them, you would need a commercial license. Regarding "mud minnows", i assume you mean mummichog killifish (lives in salt marshes with sheepshead minnows) rather than the "real" mudminnow (Umbra, a freshwater fish). Mummichogs can get pretty vicious too. In a large enough tank (40 gal or more) you could probably keep a big mixed school of sheepshead, mummichog, marsh killifish, striped killifish, and other marsh species together. Like some cichlids, big groups of killifish get along better long-term than trying to keep just a few.

#4 ·
Sheepshead have a 10" minimum size limit (2nd link) and it is illegal to sell recreationally caught stock. Commercial license required to sell - 1st link.

I love cast netting just want to be sure we protect the stock and keep members out of trouble. :)

#5 · (Edited)
Oops ... a misunderstanding due to common names. Blueoasis is talking about Sheepshead Minnow, which is really a killifish or pupfish (Cyprinodon variegatus), max size about 2". The "other" Sheepshead that Summey is talking about is the big one we eat, in the Porgy family (Archosargus probatocephalus).

... and while on the subject of Confusing Common Names:

Sheepshead Minnow is NOT a minnow, it's a killifish (Cyprinodontidae)
Least Killifish is NOT a killifish, it's a livebearer (Poeciliidae)
"Mud Minnow" refers to mummichog killifish (Fundulus) and real Mudminnows (Umbra), NEITHER of which is a real minnow.
Real Minnows (family Cyprindae) include shiners, dace, chubs, carp, barbs, rasboras, danios, Siamese algae eater, and SOME of the fish with the common name "minnow".

#8 ·
Is there a market? Not really. Mostly the drab appearance and aforementioned territoriality, especially when they are breeding.

Can you keep them? Yes.

Great flounder bait but they are also very cool on their own in a small tank. The males will get an iridescent blue sheen across their dorsal when they are mating. They can tolerate a wide array of temperatures and salinities making them extremely hardy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.