Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 29 gallon.
3 damsels, starfish, inverts, ect;

when i came from school i noticed he had a purplish color on his eyes and they look bigger. he hasnt been eatting past 2-3 days, but physically looked fine. now hes hiding and his eyes look larger and purple like color and around his mouth has small purple lines. Can someone give me an idea of what this might be, how to potentially fix it and is it going to harm the other things in my tank. (i got him about 1 week and half ago so hes relatively new to the exitsting damsels.) stress maybe?

thanks.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Heya. I am going to ask a few diagnostic questions. The answers will help discern the malady affecting your fish.

How long has the system been set-up?
What is the temperature and salinity?
What are your water quality parameters? Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonium, and pH for starters.
Is this damsel a "new" addition compared to the others?
=>Damsels are very aggressive and very territorial.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks.
the tank has been up for about a year.
the temperature sits from 76-80(is that to much of a differ? )
i dont have professional testers, aside from strips. according to strips they look good but nitrate is a little high, but ive been doing increased water changes do try to fix it. Im going to local aquarium shop hopfefully tomorrow or sunday to let him test it for more accurate
The damsel is a new addition, but my other damsels are not that aggresive, i recently gave away my extreamly aggresive 3 stripe, and wild caught goby, for i could add some new inverts.
im still a pretty big noob when it comes to testing and stuff. my local aquarium store owner helps me with that stuff.
but thanks.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Is it one eye or both eyes?

Temp is good. Strips are crap, sorry but I learned that the hard way too.

I am thinking that it is still an aggression issue. Damsels are A-holes, little man complex like none other. If he is the new guy with an established pair I would reason that they are beating on him. Look for nip spots on the fins and caudal, those are target #1 usually, gills or eyes would be #2.

What kind species of damsel are in question? The new guy and the established pair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its both eyes. and yea hopfully i can get a better way to test the water once i get some money, just bought new bat so quite broke =/.
and i know, i had to give me 3 stripe away after a year as he went after anything i put in the tank.

the infected one is a yellow damsel. he is new
the other two are the blue with yellow tail. theyve been in there for 4-5 months.

i just checked for any nips on fins, body, ect. he looks clean. and these blue guys show very little agression while light is on, maybe they change at night.

but he seems to rub himself on the rocks? could this be ick? i really have no idea on anything on "ick" though, just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Doubtful it is ich. The spots are usually a dead giveaway.
Can you get any pics?

Are they eyes cloudy, bulging, bloody/streaked?
Is the one in question breathing heavily?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
o ok.
and the eyes do look pretty cloudy, but tinted with purple. kind of bulged out of socket.
his breathing now that u mentioned it, did look unnormal.
and ill try to get a pic up asap. he's hiding behind all the rock atm, but once he comes out ill get a picture.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
No worries, sounds like he is definitely a little stressed. Is it bigger than the other two or smaller?

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
I would guess he is getting picked on. Infections affecting the eyes usually have some other associated symptoms, that or the eyes look like they are gonna burst, which is cause by infection. Imma have to dig some more and see what I can find out. Watch them during lights out time and make sure he isn't getting harassed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts