Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

Sps / lps care

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  JoeCreature 
#1 ·
I seem to have trouble keeping sps/lps so I'm looking for ideas. I have a scroll that's looking rough, lost a tricolor tort and other sps piece and have a chalice looking bad.
Parameters as of today:
No3 50ppm
Po4 0ppm (hard to read, could be 0.01)
Salinity 1.0245
Ph 8.2
Alk 9dkh
Mg 1360
Ca 450

Flow is 5600gph in 72g not including return.
Light is photon 36 v1, peak intensity is 80% blue ch1, 36% white ch2.

Nitrates or another culprit? Have a bubble magus curve7 on the way to replace junky coralife hob skimmer.

Thanks for any ideas.

#5 ·
Most all softies are doing perfectly fine, minus one frag of zoo's, not sure what happened, found an asterina(sp?) sf on it, only had a couple of polyps when I grabbed it. The scroll I've had for a little over a month, tricolor tort came from rf swap. Most any sps or lps came from the past few months grabbing small frags. The scrolls seems to have a stringy substance on it that seems as if its sloughing off. The chalice is basically turning white or bleaching from the outter edges in. I had a small monti frag that basically did the same thing a couple of months back.

I'm hoping upgrading that skimmer will help bringing the nitrates down. I only have 2 clowns, 1 yellow tang and 1 lyretail anthias, several softies and a rbta so I'm not under a heavy bioload. I generally don't have issues with algae though I do get cyano (bacteria) from time to time. I increased flow to help with that with the 2 pp8 wavemakers. Nitrates are the only parameter that just screams to me.

#6 ·
Andrewey is probably right that stability is the culprit.

Have you checked your parameters at night? This is because your tank respires at night and the pH can swing dramatically if things are out of synch.

Definitely try to get the nitrates lower. What are you feeding and how often?

Also bear in mind that small frags are less hardy than larger frags and colonies leading them to be more susceptible to the shock of changing systems and lack resiliency many times with respect to water chemistry changes. This is especially true for LPS and SPS.

#8 ·
No worries.

Dried mysis or frozen? I ask because usually when someone thaws out mysis they use some tank water and pour the whole thing in. That mysis water can be nutrient loaded and if you instead strain the feed through a small net and feed only the mysis it will probably help out......if you're not doing that already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.