Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... thanks to that lovely ice storm that hit Alamance County, our house lost power and despite a generator and our best efforts; the tank crashed. We could not maintain the temperature and it became VERY cold. That was the most helpless feeling to watch my animals suffer. I think I have managed to save the corals; only time will tell if they do or don't make it.

I would like to send out a HUGE thank you to Grace at the Reef Farm for saving our butts and housing our coral for a nominal fragging fee. I am not sure when we will get another tank up and running, but Grace is a wonderful person for helping us out until we do. If you haven't been by there, you definitely should check it out.

I wish that this would have never happened, but at least I have some good friends to call on for help. It could have been so much worse! Thanks GRACE!

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
It's never a good day when you receive a call from a friend with that sound in her voice...I felt very lucky to be able to help out a little! We are very fortunate to have so much space in the greenhouse, and are more than happy to share that with our valued customers. Fishboysgirl is not only that, but an ex ReefSmart volunteer warrior and a friend.

We will be slowly chipping some frags off to pay for her rental space - and whenever the tank is back right again (they have wisely chosen this time to perform an "overhaul" on the tank) there is still going to be lots and lots of coral to reintroduce to the new system.

Sooo...what manufacturer is going to come up with a battery powered heater? This hobby needs one!!!

Death total - none. Thanks to Fishboysgirl reacting quickly and taking the long drive out to the farm! Your fish and coral friends thank you - I know you were not thinking it was possible to get much of it to live when you came, but since they only got really cold and you reacted so quickly, I don't really think we will really lose anything.

Sit back, have a cookie, fetch a big sigh over your job well done, and know your babies are in loving hands. Look at your emptied system with new eyes - eyes that see what will be again - this is your chance to do all those little things you realized you couldn't do anymore once the tank was full. Your big tang and foxface aren't coming back (just too big, nothing wrong with them) so you will need to daydream about what kind of fish you will get to eat algae now. I recommend a pair of molly millers...so cute, and the males are actually quite pretty! They are rumored to eat aptasia, too...bonus. ;)

I will text you later with an update, sweet girl! (I am not a hugger, but I must have bear hugged her three times last night - nothing moves me more than seeing someone care that deeply about their tank inhabitants!) I am so sorry for the traumatic experience - all uphill from here! :)

Edit: And someone for goodness sake make that battery powered heater!!! Mod one, somethin'!!! :banghead:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was without power for 13 hours before we could get the generator on it. After that, the tank just could not get warm enough. It could not fight the ambient temperature of the house.. that crap was cold. I tried to be proactive and went ahead and took everything to Grace before we had a massive loss of life. I took down the entire tank and will be putting it up for sale. We wanted to upgrade, but this is not the way we wanted to do it. It was an ordeal, to say the least.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks,

We well be back. We wanted to go bigger anyways.. You know what they say... if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans...

Grace has been keeping an eye on everything for me. Luckily, it seems that I got everything there in the nick of time. This afternoon when I went to go take the tank down, the water inside the tank was a warm 51.6 degrees... PROACTIVE!

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Yeah, not the way I envisioned your upgrade, either!!! Well, it does work, though, and now that your livestock is here it should be smooth sailing getting going with nothing to worry about while you plan. :) Your nem still looks half bleachy, but is taking up the whole dang basket, lol! How on earth did all this go in a 55g, anyway! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts